Existing Member?

California USA, Mexico, Guatemala & Belize This is my journal for my next trip from 17 March 2008 starting in LA, San Francisco, San Diego then down into Mexico. Will now be going to parts of Guatemala and Belize.

Taxco

MEXICO | Thursday, 5 June 2008 | Views [619]

Wow what can I say about Taxco the silver capital of Mexico but that its absolutely beautiful!! The city is on the side of a very steep hillside.  The Spanish first came here and when silver was discovered Taxco became the main silver export.  The mining of silver here has long since finished and after the mining ceased it became a very poor region until an American came and opened up a silver factory here.  From there his apprentices went into business themselves and since then the main employment here has been making and selling silver.  Today I visited the Teleferico (cable car) which goes to the top of a mountain where there is a very expensive hotel!!  The views are amazing of the city though!! 

The streets here are very windy and narrow and the VW Beetles and VW combis offer the main public transport here.  I dont know how many times I have got lost here as a lot of the time the maps show streets which are in fact little lanes with steps but really dont mind as its so beautiful here!!  The Mexico government has gone to great lengths to keep Taxco´s beauty.  Houses are renovated when possible and when new buildings are built they have to be built in the old style and use the old type materials whenever possible.  There are no signs on the shops.  Normally the signs are just simply written in black paint.  Im going to relax here until Saturday when I go to Mexico DF for my final few days in Mexico.

About carolwil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.