Existing Member?

California USA, Mexico, Guatemala & Belize This is my journal for my next trip from 17 March 2008 starting in LA, San Francisco, San Diego then down into Mexico. Will now be going to parts of Guatemala and Belize.

Mexico City

MEXICO | Wednesday, 7 May 2008 | Views [513]

Mexico City is a huge city of around 22 million people.  Sometimes when you cross the road here you risk your life hehe!!!  So far have been on a tourbus of the city which is well worth it because of the size of Mexico City!!  There are many beautiful buildings here and many museums to see.  Have visited Aztec ruins (templo mayor) in the middle of the Historic City which were uncovered by electricians in 1978 and the decision was made to excavate the site by demolishing other buildings there.  Have been staying in my friend Luisś house which is in the south of the city.  Im staying in the Historic Centre and have visited El Museo de Frida Kahlo (Frida Kahlo Museum).  She is very famous artist here in Mexico and is known for her paintings showing a great deal of her physical pain.  She was also married to another famous artist here Diego Rivera and they had a very tempestuous relationship.  She contracted polio as a child which made one leg thinner than the other but a major event in her life was being involved in a tram accident when she was about 17 in which she broke her back, leg, arm.  She started painting when she was in the hospital bed.  She was very lucky to walk again but her life was plaqued with back pain and operations to try alleviate the pain.  She died in 1954.  I have also visited the Palacio Nacional which has some beautiful murals painted Diego Rivera and I visited the Cathedral which is very beautiful. Another entertainment here is the Metro during rush hour.  Its like a competition to see who can set a world record for the largest amount of people on the train squashed together like sardines haha!!  People often panic and barge their way through the door and run to get a seat!! 

About carolwil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.