Existing Member?

California USA, Mexico, Guatemala & Belize This is my journal for my next trip from 17 March 2008 starting in LA, San Francisco, San Diego then down into Mexico. Will now be going to parts of Guatemala and Belize.

Zacatecas

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 8 April 2008 | Views [382] | Comments [1]

Zacateca is a very beautiful city with narrow cobbled streets and lots of old buildings.  The cathedral here was built in the 1700´s.  Today i visited the eden mine.  it has seven levels but levels 5,6,7 are flooded so you can only go as far as level 4.  it mined mainly silver and gold.  Many indigenous people worked here as slaves and were extremely poor.  Many died either from mine accidents or from TB (there is a statue in honour of the miners in the town).  I then got a cable car across the city to the other side and walked back down.  Visited the mask museum here.  the building was very beautiful and in some old ruins and also visited the cathedral.  yesterday visited the corona factory.  it cost 100 pesos (about 5 pound) and you could drink as much beer as you wanted so needless to say everyone is quite hungover today!!

Comments

1

Hey sugar
Your journal / travel sounds like loads of fun. what a cool way to keep in touch. will check it out again soon. Daz and I have been on holiday in Thailand just got back yesterday. was loads of fun. I am back at work today and things continue to be a bit messy. Margie is back at work but without an actual job to do!!
Hugs
em

  Emily Apr 11, 2008 9:52 AM

About carolwil


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.