Existing Member?

My First Dive on the Great Barrier Reef

Dive into Colour

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 21 April 2014 | Views [150] | Scholarship Entry

The sun was slowly rising above the horizon, casting shades of orange across the sky. The only sound was the gentle lapping of waves against the hull of the boat, the whole scene a picture of perfection and serenity. But it was what lay beneath that would be the real magic. I could feel the pulsing of my heart in my chest as I put my gear on, the cold, salty wetsuit sent a chill running down my spine. I sat on the edge of the boat, took a deep breath and fell backwards. Meeting the water with a splash, I felt the flush run straight through my wetsuit, encasing my body like a cool glove. I awaited instruction and began my descent…Diving slowly downwards the faint hue of colour became increasingly bright shades of purples and greens. Misty shapes became intricate weavings of coral, each one intertwined with the next, almost embracing one another. Small fish darted around the reef, throwing splashes of silver, gold and orange against the blue of the abyss. There was a buzz about the place, like a city awakening from a long night, the whole place teaming with life. Bubbles drifted up towards the light from every direction, sent on their way by the flick of a tail. Beneath me, a stingray was burying itself into the sand, wiggling from side to side until it had disappeared from sight. Sea cucumbers lay motionless on the sea bed, their little hairs waving around in the current like grass in a Summer breeze. A green turtle swam gently towards me, it’s fins propelling it forward with such grace that it appeared almost in flight. As it got closer I could see the intricate patches of leathery skin, each one a different shape, a complete puzzle wrapping around it’s body. As it’s eye met mine, you could almost read the tales it has of a life spent at sea, an old sailor reminiscing by an open fire. Each scar on it’s shell a reminder of the fight for survival in the underwater world. It was gone just as quickly as it had appeared, the blue of the water eventually engulfing it from view. Before I knew it, it was time to return to the surface. As I kicked upwards I waved goodbye to the rainbow of life that was disappearing from beneath. The sharp yellows and pinks became hues of green, and the intricate fingers of coral merged into misty shapes. I could feel the water getting warmer as we ascended, the sun’s rays now bursting through the blue. There was a splash as my head broke the surface and I was greeted by reality, the colours of which suddenly seemed very dull.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About carolinenieuwenhuis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.