Existing Member?

The daily routine of my people

Encounters with other people

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 24 April 2014 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

In the travel I've done (in my country, Colombia) I found very valuable people. Old men who are sitting in the park that tell me great stories. Once I met a man who had mental health problems, and an afternoon out of his people by bicycle in order to meet with the country's President to give a few manuscripts.

I really like to get to a place and talk to the people of the common then tell their stories, become chronic, that was what I did with the man who walked more than one week to reach the country's capital by bike and with many other people that I've found in different municipalities, departments and paths that I have traveled.

One of the most beautiful memories of a trip, was in a village called Guatape in Antioquia. I went with a group to do a job of photo reporter about a leader of a path that had been murdered 20 years ago. We had to walk for hours to reach homes that were far. To talk to the people who live ther. It was shocking to hear stories of people who saw how they killed their families next to his. This trip made me find a reality that my people was living.

It was a whole week talking with these people, discovering the terrifying testimonials about how violence, fear, anguish had lived.

Since that trip, I promised myself that it should, not only tell these kinds of stories, but look for them. Make public what people who do not inhabit urban areas and often forget live.

This trip made me realize that there are magical people with stories that need to know in the least expected places, either for admiration or situations will not be repeated.

For we are journalists, writers and photographers. To be the voice that cannot do public history

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About carola


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.