Existing Member?

One Mountain, Three Countries.

Pfänderbahn

AUSTRIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [248] | Scholarship Entry

Lake Constance is a place where nature meets nurture. Trust me, there is no battle between the two there. Nestled in discreet corners of three European gems - Germany, Switzerland, and Austria, the horizon of the lake seemed to effortlessly blend into the Alps.

I ended up there the way any traveler ends up anywhere---curiosity mixed with a touch of uncertainty. The beckoning call of a new land, a new culture, a new point-of-view to experience.

I was lucky enough to find a beautiful family to spend some time with in Uberlingen, Germany. Living off of a small wage and some savings from home, I had limited funds to explore this wondrous region which seemed to have a new surprise waiting around every corner.


For around 15 euros, I was able to buy a Day Ticket for Regional Bahn (train). Google is always helpful in these circumstances. Simply searching each city pin-pointed on the map is an easy manner to grasp what each place has to offer. That particular day, I caught glimpse of Bregenz, Austria.

Bregenz is a small city on the shores of Lake Constance, and is situated at the foot of the Pfander. The Pfander is a mountain, one of the first "big" hitters at the start of the Alps. Gazing up from the shores of Lake Constance, the mountain hung over the city like a constant reminder of Mother Natures magnificence.

As soon as I stepped off the train platform, sneakers knotted and backpack loaded, I headed for the foot of the mountain. I've never been one to give up easily, but seeing as I was running on limited time, I opted for the gondola ride up instead of the long hike.

We rose a few feet at a time, slowly but surely to the peak. Looking through the glass encased walls, my stomach started to drop seeing the city I was walking in 5 minutes ago disappear at a startling speed. When we reached the peak and I stepped out of the car, my lungs inhaled the purest air I have ever felt. Like a cool crisp morning wind blew over acres of Spruce trees, and was guiding me where I needed to go.

After exploring the shops and trails at the top of the mountain, I found an empty space where a tiny fence was the only barrier between myself and the fifty foot drop down. Reading the pamphlet in my broken German, I realized something incredible---from this point, if you spun around, you could see three countries at one time.

I spun in my circle, taking in the magic that is realization. Realizing this is why I travel. Why one more trip will never, ever be enough.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About carlenekurdziel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.