Existing Member?

Carjam travels

Moscow day 2

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 12 November 2008 | Views [488]

What a brilliant city. I didn't expect Moscow to be this beautiful. The weather helps.  It was well above 0 today and not a cloud to be seen. 

We went to the Kremlin this morning. While inside the Kremlin we visited a few churches. Inside the Archangel Cathedral there were four monks singing.  They were amazing. It was a tad odd that after they finished they tried to sell their CD to all of the onlookers. Commercialism didn't seem to fit there. Being extremely cheap, we declined. All of the churches are at least 400 years old and all are stunning. We also visited a museum and saw crowns, thrones and carriages. One Empress had 4 personal carriages.  A tad greedy I think. There was a diamond jewelry exhibit. Opulent. Photos were not allowed inside any of the buildings, sorry. We spent a couple hours looking around. The Kremlin is bigger than I thought. The walls are 2.7 kms long. My feet were feeling it.

The afternoon was spent on the metro.  In the 1930's Stalin built several extremely grand metro stations. We stopped off at 5 of the more impressive stations. They are impeccably clean. Not a bit of graffiti to be seen. Mosaics, sculptures, paintings, marble floors... We did take lots of photos, but it really needs to be seen to be believed. The metro tickets only cost 19 rubles each. Deal!

Moscow impresses. Moscow surprises. Moscow we love you!

 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.