Existing Member?

All like it hear

Thessaloniki

GREECE | Tuesday, 12 May 2015 | Views [238] | Scholarship Entry

The plane landed in the airport of Alexander the Great in Thessaloniki, but the airport did not seem so great. Small, grey, boring.
We get in the bus number 77, which crosses almost the whole city. City of five-floor-buildings, grey, boring, hot, people shouting.
You are not impressed? Hold on! Let's have some rest first.
The sun is the first who greets you in the morning and it seems that everybody follows her (the sun is so beautiful can be only a woman). People smile and cordially welcome you to the cradle of civilization. Proud of the history, lazy in the present and hopeful towards the future. Kalós orísate (welcome) in Greece!
Feel energetic? Then let's go to the heart of the city!
Do you see endless sea? Blue sky? White tower which is brown?
Are you dizzy from the noisiness coming out of the cafes and tavernas along the seaside?
Do you smell odour of coffee and food?
Do you hear loud chatting everywhere and roll of dice?
Then, congratulations! You are in the Paralia (seaside). This is the hall without walls. From one side you are surrounded by the square of Aristotel, from another by the blue-red-green-white-black-and-again-green sea and this complex gives you freedom and makes you feel alive!
Do you spot the cafe "Parfait", yeah, this is our destination, cause they have the best ice-cream and coffee in the world!
You feel the happiest person alive and want to make this moment last forever? I give you the chance to rethink your decision. Ok, I will be kind today and will give you a hint: you want to move forward (now you owe me a wish :D ).
Now we will reach the end of the Paralia and go up. You think I cheat on you and hypnotize you? You think it is impossible to watch Flamingo dances in Barcelona? To be asked to dance salsa in Cuba? To be seduced by Casino in Las Vegas? To sing chansons in Paris? To be offered the tea from Geisha? To hear Greek Bouzouki? To see pirates shouting, playing cards and pouring Rom? Do you see colorful dresses of Roma girls?
No, no you are not dreaming! This is ?ad?d??a! Real and surreal, correct and wrong, beautiful and ugly, big and small, international and local simultaneously! This is the place where you travel around the world and forget about its existing. The place where all dreams come true, but you have the only dream: to be here and now!
You want to disappear in this laughter, joy, life? I won't be an obstacle. Enjoy and Carpe Diem!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About caravan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.