Existing Member?

Free from Freedom

Berlin, Germany

GERMANY | Tuesday, 3 February 2009 | Views [290]

We arrived Saturday night and went to Christian's (Cay's boyfriend) apartment.  He had bought ingredients for Pizza so Cay and him prepared delicious pie.  It had pepppers, leeks, mushrooms, cheese, pancetta. so yum, they both love to cook so it's good they are good at it.  After that we were planning to go to his friends house party, but conincidently enough january 31st is the lange nact der museen which many Berlin museums are open until 2am.  We left the apartment at 11:30 and cruised to the Berliner Dom (we climbed a seemingly neverending staircase to the top and saw the Berlin cityscape at night), Museum of Antiquity (which had a large red neon sign "all art has once been contemporary") and the Guggenheim. We were at Alexanderplatz where I first saw the incredibly tall TV tower. The Guggenheim is under construction but it offer us a memory exhibit and a fashion show.  We got a drink at a local smoking bar and went home.  The night day we slept late until 1pm and went out to see what else we could see.  Again, lucky us, the first day of each month the museums are free.  We started at the Brendenbaug Gate and saw the Reichstag (German Parliament).  We saw the war victims memorial, depicting on a handful of those who were killed trying to cross the wall. After we explored the Holocaust memorial which was an array of assorted pillars. It was a maze and looked beautiful with the dusting of snow on top.  Oh yes it snowed! Berlin looks so pretty in snow.  The next day we went to East Side Gallery and saw the remaining part of the wall.  We walked Unter den Linden and explored Potsdamer Platz.  We search Babelplatz for the book burning memorial but we were unable to find it.  It seems that the fashion week building (that they were deconstructing while we were there) may have been covering it.  We went to the Jewish History museum which had interesting archtecture.  We were tired and hungry and stopped for a bite before returning home. We ate some falafels and relaxed before our journey to Rostock where will we get the ferry to Helsinki.  

About caraesullivan


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.