Existing Member?

An Inspiring Diet

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [116] | Scholarship Entry

It wasn’t the leaving behind all my worldly possessions, access to news, friends and family that bothered me, nor my overwhelming arachnophobia, it was the constant nagging in the back of my mind wondering when I would next eat and what it would be.

Rurrenabaque, Bolivia is becoming a must-do on the South American gringo trail for those eager to see the Amazonian Basin, for a cheaper price and without feeling the effects of deforestation. It is here that you will find a rare opportunity to ditch your personal belongings and preconceived perceptions of your limits and learn how to sobrevivir, survive in the jungle.

The first day our life-support for the following week, Pedro took us on an unfortunate fishing trip which viciously tested our patience and temper. Consequently that day’s food intake consisted solely of a jungle apple each and shared yuca which Pedro had ‘found’ earlier.

That night in a mixture of Tacanan, Spanish and a little English Pedro told us stories from when he was growing up in the jungle, about coming-of-age rituals and finally of his move to the ‘modern world’. Despite our grumbling stomachs that night we went to bed full on notions of mischief and jungle magic.

The next morning we were awoken by the delicious smell of bacon, by that I mean wild pigs being chased through our campsite; if only they weren’t protected we would have been feasting like Kings & a Queen! After the brutal disappointment we set out more determined than ever to find something to eat, we collected garlic flavoured bark and bamboo in case we did catch a fish, fruits and seeds, but the real highlight was when we actually caught a tiny but still edible catfish.

I never would have thought that such a delicious meal could have been prepared from the minimal ingredients found in the jungle, but as the aromas from our catfish being boiled over a campfire wafted around the campsite, I knew it would be delicious and totally worth the serenity of the jungle.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About captainchelsea


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.