Existing Member?

Eat. Drink. Love. Dream. Discover "For tomorrow may rain so I will follow the sun"

Doubtful Sound

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 9 October 2012 | Views [559]

The last leg of my South Island tour ends with an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound.  Located in the heart of the Fiordland National Park, it is the second largest of the 14 fiords found here.  The taxi picked me up at my hostel at 8:30am. I then had to take a 2 hour bus ride to the area known as Fiordland.  There, we hopped on a water taxi for an hour boat ride to the National Park. Once we arrived in the national park, it was then another 45 minute bus ride through the rain forest before I could hop on the overnight vessel, The Fiordland Navigator.  The boat embarked on its journey around 2:30pm.  Once on the boat, we were instantly greeted with warm muffins and hot tea/coffee/cocoa.  The boat ride down the sound was a pleasant one, although when taking pictures from the outside deck, the wind at times was unbearable.  On either side of the vessel were massive waterfalls and a diversity of wildlife.  At the end of the sound ( or the entrance that connects the sound to the Tasman Sea) was a seal colony, where we saw pups playing all along the rocks.  We then turned back around into the sound so that we may start our water activities.  This included kayaking or a small boat ride exploring the nature around.  I chose to Kayak.  The only time i have ever kayaked was when i went to Australia and it was a 2 person kayak.  This one, I was on my own.  I had no idea what I was doing.  The wind was so strong that the guide had to attach my kayak to his and tow me to the meeting point where the other kayakers were.  I just couldnt win with the wind..my hands kept dunking in the water, the water fell off the paddles all over me to the point where my pants were soaked! Just as i thought i was getting the hang of it, i lost my mojo and started to veer off in the wrong direction.  I have to say though that i was not dragging on the end of the line.. I was paddling along somewhere in the middle of everyone.  We stayed along the coastline to avoid the wind but it was inevitable...I had to kayak to open water to return to the boat.  I paddled, and paddled and that damn boat never got any bigger! I felt like a sitting duck. I wasnt moving.  I was so frustrated and with my upper  body burning I wished i never got in that damn kayak.  BUT I made it! Still not the last one.  Of course after I was safe and warm on the boat, I did not regret the decision to kayak but i certainly was glad to be out of my wet clothes.  when we got on the boat, we had warm soup and rolls waiting for us.  I sat down with 2 older women who were on a girls weekend away.  we played trivial pursuit for a few hours and then dinner was served.  The gourmet buffet was delicious! It had carved roast beef, pork, salmon, mussels, 4 types of salad, roasted vegetables, roasted potatoes and heeps of other yummy things.  AND of course the dessert was out of this world. I tried a bit of everything!  Everyone on the boat went to bed around 10:30 and I certainly was glad that I did. The engine turned on at 6:30am and there was no sleeping through that noise! Granted, I was sleeping down on the bottom floor where when I looked out my window I was eye level with the water. So naturally it would be louder down there but breakfast was being served at 7 so I needed to get up regardless.  Another gourmet breakfast before we headed back to the dock.  Along the way, 2 juvenile bottle nosed dolphins swam along side our boat, jumping and playing in our wake.  It was amazing!!  My favoite part of this trip was not the dolphin encounter, however.  It was the "Sound of Silence."  The captain brough the boat into a cove where he shut off the engine and asked us all to sit in silence for 5 minutes so that we could truly appreciate nature.  I found a seat at the front of the boat, I closed my eyes, i closed my mind, and I listened.  All around me I heard waterfalls...I heard birds singing....I heard the trees blowing in the wind.  When I opened my eyes, I saw the sun rise over the mountains, illuminating every color green that the rainforest could offer.  Pictures alone could never capture the wonders that I experienced in that very moment.  As the motors turned on and the boat turned around, all i could think about was how i was not ready to end the journey.  But all journeys must come to an end. Sofie and I parted ways right before I left for Doubtful Sound.  She was headed up to another Fiord, Milford Sound, and I am heading to the North Island.  I was sad to see my travel partner leave but it was inevitable. She is only in NZ for another 2 weeks before sehe returns to Belgium.  We exchanged contact information and I hope we can stay in touch.  As for me, I am ready to travel northward....first stop: Aukland.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.