Existing Member?

Eat. Drink. Love. Dream. Discover "For tomorrow may rain so I will follow the sun"

Queenstown and Wanaka-Sept 22, 2012

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 23 September 2012 | Views [494] | Comments [1]

This weekend, we went away to Queenstown and Wanaka.  After a long 3.5 hour boring drive, we arrived to the most beautiful city I have ever seen.  And to make the day even better, the sun was shining, the sky was blue, and it was 60 degrees!  Upon arrival, the first thing we did was ride the skyline gondola to the top of Bob's Peak for some breathtaking views of the city and lake below.  After the gondola ride, we took a walk through New Zealands Exotic bird sanctuary so I could see a native Kiwi! Kiwi birds are endangered species with only 300 remaining.  Years ago, when NZ was nothing but bush, there were 17 million Kiwi's! 17 million down to 300 as the result of introduced species such as cats! A female kiwi only lays 2 eggs a year (separately during a 6 month period) and most of the time only one egg hatches.  The country's effort to save this bird is intense and remarkable.  

After the kiwi exhibit, we walked through the town so I could act like a tourist and take lots of pics! I could not take my eyes off the mountains on the other side of the lake. It was as if I have never seen mountains with snowy tops...I took so many pictures! After some picture taking, we took a ride on the Thunder Jet.  This was a 1 hour High speed jet boat ride down Lake Wakatipu and through the mountains.  not only did we travel at 90 kilometers per hour ( no idea what mph this is) but we also did 360 degree hamilton spins! After our jet boat ride, we grabbed a few drinks at a bar called "Below Zero".  The bar atmosphere is exactly that...everything is made out of ice including the seats and the glasses! "The Walls , bar, furniture, sculptures, and even the glasses we serve our vodka cocktails in - all created from Ice. Below Zero is the first bar in the world to feature a real gas fireplace. With the bar being a controlled temperature of minus 5 degrees we fit you with super warm jackets, gloves and boots so you can enjoy this incredible experience while still being cosy and warm."

The $33 cover included entry, 1 vodka drink and 1 shot. it was well worth it! I think i am going to open up one of these bars in Boston!!! After cocktails, we grabbed some dinner at a local pub and drove to his family home in Lake Hawea. On Sunday we took a trip to Wanaka, where we went to Puzzle World and to the Toy and Transport Museum. A very expensive weekend that I have no regrets about! Queenstown by far is my favorite place that I have seen thus far. After I do my trek around the 2 islands, I might just head back down there to stay long term until my work Visa is up.

Tomorrow, I leave Gareth and his family and venture out on my own.  Christchurch is the first stop on my journey and I will be couch surfing for the first time as well.  . 

Tags: puzzle world, queenstown, wanaka

Comments

1

Wow...it sounds and look amazing...my favorite part was the Below Zero bar...it looks so cool but I think I will totally freeze in there...glad that you are having a great time... :)

  Jessica Martinez Sep 24, 2012 9:31 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.