Existing Member?

Cape Bound Follow us as we embark on 16,000 km journey through the wilds of Kenya, Tanzenia and Namabia, the pyramids of Egypt, and the wonders of South Africa.

Rag time in Stellenbosch

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 2 February 2007 | Views [791]

The family arrived in Stellenbosch just in time to observe some of the “Rag” activities at the University of Stellenbosch better know to Canadians as Frosh Week.  As most of the students at the university live in university residences most activities are organized and structured around the student residences.  Last Thursday, students from each of the residences performed plays set up at different venues around the university.  Each play lasted about 10 minutes and was repeated throughout the evening.  It was remarkable how many students and individuals from the community attended (estimated at 25,000 people).  Both very young and older folks appeared to have a great time in the absence of excessive drink. Not always a given at Canadian Universities!

On Saturday, we, like most other individuals in Stellenbosch, stood on the sidewalks and watched a parade including floats, bands and lots of students. Apparently the float parade is a local tradition organized by the students and sponsored by local businesses. It was remarkable to see how many people showed up to cheer the students on and support the student’s community project by contributing loose change along the parade route. The parade finished with a true prophet of doom. Excellent weather this past week greatly contributed to the success of Rag. Hopefully the great weather will continue as we start our courses next week.   

Madelaine

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About cape_bound


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.