Existing Member?

Life through my eyes

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 7 March 2011 | Views [218] | Scholarship Entry

"Without Guidance"

It's funny when you travel abroad alone for the first time ever because you always fear that you might get lost. At least that's how I felt when I travelled to Singapore. But Singapore proved me wrong. All I wanted to do in Singapore was to get lost, to find the hidden alleyways, and to wish the trip would never end. A hidden industrialized gem is what I called her. I found beauty in the architecture and skyscrapers that is all around the city. If you look long enough you can feel the world going silent and you forget just how busy and humid the country is.

As I rode the Singapore Flyer, I forgot my fear of heights and all I remembered was the different parts of Singapore. I remembered when I gazed forward, I saw the big city and the highways that made up the country. But the moment I turned around, I saw the ports that was seemingly the serene part of Singapore. I wanted to ride on the tanker ships and I wanted to touch the sky; The sky that I was inching closer to and felt like I could touch when I reached the peak of the Singapore Flyer attraction.

Other than the many attractions available for tourists, I found that the people was what made my big adventure a lot of fun. The country is just full of different cultures mixed in into one big pot. In Little India, you can ask just any random stranger and they would help you out with an added bonus, a smile. Exploring Little India was almost like a commercial set for tourism purposes, and I seldom ponder upon why these districts are rarely featured on Singaporean tourism ads. Sure the district was not as clean as Chinatown or even Central Singapore, but how I viewed their type of "dirtiness" is different from the dirtiness of my country. Trash was along the side of the streets but all stacked up neatly not scattered everywhere. And in every bus stop you would always see a couple of people making a mad dash so they can catch a bus ride. From there I noticed how Singapore was like the New York City of Southeast Asia in a sense that the city never sleeps and the people are always on the go.

Singapore makes you forget everything and instead pushes you to be inspired and to enjoy life. In all honesty, I came to Singapore because I wanted to do some retail shopping but I got more than that after I left her beauty. What I got was to know the people, the diverse culture, the food, a tan, and mostly a desire to go back and visit her again. Visiting Singapore is like a drug, once you go there, you'll want to come back. For a person who has never travelled abroad without parental guidance, I can absolutely say that Singapore made the trip even more exciting!

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About cantika


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.