Existing Member?

The camping couple and a dog named Pumba

Day 1 - Burra Gorge

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 3 October 2016 | Views [563]

I sit here writing this next to a crackling fire made by Jamie, under a canopy of giant gum trees and a sky full of brilliant stars.  Pumba wanders the campsite exploring any noises and smells as he goes.  We have fitted him with a headlamp around his neck so we can see where he is in the dark.

 

Today was the very first day of this yearlong journey we have undertaken to travel around Australia.  We hadn’t even fully finished getting everything ready, and I had only just had my sister’s baby shower the day before. Yes, my niece or nephew will be born while we are away but we have decided to come back briefly to Adelaide to meet the new little baby before continuing on.  We had gathered our last few items and fully packed the trailer, whilst Pumba slept on the porch being his usual helpful self. We picked up a care package of homemade road snacks from my best friend Bianca and then did a food shop, guessing at how much stuff we could take, and how much food we could fit in our fridge.  And then we were driving and it felt a little bit real, like this was actually happening and not just a dream we had conjured up months before.

 

It was only a few hours to our campsite, at Burra Gorge so we made it well before dark and set up our rooftop tent in the quick way we had already become accustomed to.  I made a dinner of green chicken curry on rice while Jamie collected firewood and Pumba galloped to and fro across the creek, making as much noise as possible.   Once the fire was going we were then able to relax and let it all sink in with a bevvy in hand. Not a bad way to finish out our first day on the road!!

Tags: australia, camping, journey, on the road, travelling

 

About camilleandjamie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.