Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

Teaching Differences

TAIWAN | Tuesday, 18 March 2014 | Views [210]

I know it’s been quite awhile since I have updated the blog, and a lot has happened since my last post. I am also working on uploading photos to the blog as well, since I have had some luck getting them onto Facebook, hopefully that is a good sign for getting them onto the blog. I’ve been tossing around some different ideas of what to write for my latest post, and I think it would be interesting to post the differences I have noticed in teaching here and in the U.S.

 

First of all, all of my teacher buddies in the U.S., please don’t be jealous, but I get to wear jeans and casual shirts everyday. I LOVE that I don’t have to worry about my slacks or khakis being clean (just because laundry is a different issue here as well). I think the school goes off the basis that if you are respectably dressed, wear what you want to. I think another part of it is that kids will often come up to you and touch you with whatever is on their hands, be it paint or nothing at all. I know that in the U.S., all of my slacks had ink marks from putting pens in my pockets, etc. Shoes are another non-issue, but for a totally different reason. Taiwan is another country where you take your shoes off before you come into homes, etc. The school is open to the elements, but the classroom doors can be closed. I take my shoes off before I enter any classroom and put my slippers on, which I carry from classroom to classroom.

 

That leads to another point, I don’t have a classroom and the students don’t switch classes, at least where I teach. The Chinese teachers that are classroom teachers have their own classroom, but I, as well as the other foreign teachers (and a couple of other teachers) have a desk in a cubicle in the office. My schedule differs from day to day, and I just take what I need to each class as I travel between classes.

 

One thing that completely blows my mind (still) is the fact that I NEVER run my own copies…in fact, I don’t think any teacher can run their own copies here. This can be excellent and it can also be a huge pain. It’s amazing because I don’t have to worry about running papers and spending so much time preparing materials for class. It’s a pain because you may need something and you have to keep asking to make sure that you get it on time. In order for me to get copies, I have to fill out an application, put what I need copied, how many I need, when I need it, etc. I then have to take it to the head of the school who has to approve my copies. After she approves it, she then gives what I need copied to another person to make my copies. Yes, someone is hired to make copies—but she also does other things around the school as well.

 

As far as my schedule goes, Monday is great because I have the morning off and don’t have to be to work until 1:30 pm. I teach until 7:20 on Monday and I have seven classes that day. All classes have at least a 10 minute break in between, some have a 15 or 20 minute break—and this applies to all days between classes. On Tuesday through Friday, I have to clock in by 9 am, but my first class doesn’t start until 9:30. I use this 30 minutes as planning time to plan my classes for the day—yes, that day’s classes. I NEVER take anything home. I don’t do lesson plans at home, grading at home, planning at home. Ok…I very rarely take things home, usually if I have several classes writing assignments to critique I will take it home. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I teach until 5:40 pm and on Wednesdays and Fridays until 7:20 pm. I think I teach 8 classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and 10 on Wednesday and Friday. However, one thing greatly differs…I don’t have to be a speed eating champion like in the U.S., I get a two hour lunch break, where I can leave school and do whatever I would like. I usually eat lunch at school Tuesday-Friday because I get a free lunch there which is usually good. So, the long days aren’t so long since I get a long lunch.

 

I think I have rambled on long enough for today’s post, so until next time.

About callie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.