Existing Member?

ramblings of the unstable If you are going to read this blog I suggest you leave everything you know about grammar and spelling behind. As i will most likely butcher them both.

Accidentally Illegal

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 2 April 2010 | Views [648] | Comments [4]

Nothing like 60 hrs of recycled air, random time changes and sleep deprivation to make you question your sanity. I survived though, with only minor incidents along the way. One of which: not locking the door to the washroom. Always fun being on a plane for 10 hrs with the person who just witnessed you squating sans pants in the midst of a less then attractive bodily function. The rest of the plane ride consisted of continous movie watching till my eyes were swollen and my brain felt in threat of an oncoming aneurysm. In the remaining hours of my journey I could feel the cabin fever set in. I got increasingly anxious and accused everything of being 'all up in my grill.' Luckily, the narcolepsy kicked in and I passed out before entirely breaking down and being deemed a threat to international security.

Instead, i awoke when the plane landed and was shuffled off the vessel and into the line for border security. Where I waited as an apparent felon as I unknowingly attempted to smuggle a very illegal apple into the country; a potential $200 fine. Which I dodged by giving up my newly acquainted life of crime and handing over the dangerous fruit to the proper authorities. I feel I made the right choice.

As a newly reformed woman I entered New Zealand. Welcoming the warm, humid air by slightly hyperventilating with relief. It was about 1 am when I made it to my hostel. Sweaty, tired and smelling of stale deoderant. To my dismay my roomates were sleeping which meant stumbling around a dark room till I found an uninhabited bed to drag myself into. 20 minutes later a crazy a person exploded through the door exclaiming "Calla! Calla are you here?!" In a volume that was more of a muffled shout then a whisper. "Ali?" I replied in a confused daze. BAM! Ali's body smashed against me as she flung herself up the bunk ladder and tackled me. The sweet smell of alcohol radiated off of her as she told me how plastered she was and how happy she was to see me. "Goddamnit Ali" I responded. It was a perfect reunion.

We currently reside in Auckland, or as I like to call it: 'Vancouver's siamese twin seperated at birth.' We've been taking it easy for the most part, sightseeing and such. Unfortunately, they have this crazy rule here where the bars can't serve liquor after midnight during Easter weekend. Total bummer and only results in everyone drinking on the streets consequently flooding the parks with innumerable beer bottles. Personally, I feel Jesus would be down with liquoring up on the weekend of his death. He died, that's sad. And alot of people drown their sorrows in alcohol, we shouldn't deprive people of their coping mechanism.

Alright, well i will write more when internets cheaper. Peace.

 

Tags: auckland, new zealand

Comments

1

haha ali! i can't believe they stopped u for having an apple, im glad u didnt dispute with them and handed it over to them i dont understand what they would need it for are tehy collecting 'evidence' or something. meh calla u never peacefuly enter a country do u, england and now new zealand!

  manny Apr 6, 2010 3:55 AM

2

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN NEW ZEALAND?!
i just found your blog
ill follow you on your journey and live vicariously through you
did you know that i was supposed to be in new zealand right now too? how rad would that have been??

  Bree Apr 8, 2010 4:36 AM

3

lol Manny you re so right it probably doesnt help that britain flagged my passport cause I appeared to be a potential hobo threat.

haha bree ur awesome! I totally wish you could be here that would be amazing what happened?

  calla Apr 10, 2010 9:39 AM

4

you're silly, calla.
One of these days, we'll cross paths when both travelling alone. I plan to do A LOT of that (bumping into you, not travelling alone. I'm too chicken, brave girl)
Miss you though! Take lots of photos!

  Emilyyyyyy Apr 10, 2010 11:20 AM

About callasavary


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.