Existing Member?

From Outside, Writing In: My Travels, My Words

Travelling Close to Home

CANADA | Wednesday, 30 April 2014 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

Niagara Falls is an interesting location; there is a lot of family fun as well as intimate locations and experiences that make for a variety of romantic excursions. For the people seeking neither, however, the location does not deliver. It’s either family or couples orientated.
On my visit I had the pleasure of staying at the Doubletree Fallsview Resort and Spa. A beautiful lobby and warm cookies made the standard check-in much more enjoyable. The room spoke business but felt like home. The facilities were clean, accessible, and modern. The presence of many business professionals didn’t mitigate the friendly atmosphere and it still felt perfectly acceptable for me to hang around the hotel in jeans.
There were a variety of dining options; the Keg, Kelsey’s, Swiss Chalet, Outback Steakhouse, all looked busy and inviting. The places that are usually cheaper at home had their prices jacked up. Settling on the Rainforest Café, once seated we realized we had vastly misinterpreted its target customer. A pair of childless twenty-somethings aren’t quite as mystified with the moving robotic menagerie as two young children might be. Instead, we were mostly distracted by the noise and lost most of our conversation to gorilla howls. In what was seemingly a challenge to the gorilla’s screams, the restaurant staff expertly diffused two toddler’s screaming during our visit. The food was typical fare for a family-style chain; I had pulled pork and my friend had a chicken sandwich. Both were hot and flavorful. The restaurant is definitely suited for a family with young children; not two young adults.
On our free time, we decided against the usual rounds of Niagara Falls, since we’ve done them before. We didn’t gamble or get all misty standing on the edge of a waterfall. Instead, seeking a little adrenaline, we waited eagerly in line outside of Nightmares Fear Factory; a trail led us through a series of terrifying installations and hidden actors. For someone with a strong constitution and a loud enough scream, it’s an enjoyable experience. It tests your grip and, if you get scared enough, your sprint speed.
The trip ended with typical experiences but, without intending to, Niagara Falls can remind you, really harshly, that you’re disappointing your mother on all accounts of being single and failing to have a family.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About calebjc


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.