Existing Member?

My Photography Scholarship 2010

Surakarta, The City of Batik

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 12 October 2010 | Views [2123]

 

Welcome in Solo…

My Journal recently is about a famous city in central java that known as City of Batik. That is Surakarta or Solo (a familiar name for most people here). A beautiful city with many unique javanesse art and culture, nice people, delicious traditional foods, and of course The Famous Batik.  Here is a little bit warm weather city but still comfortable.

Actually there are two Royal Palaces here, Kasunanan Palace and Mangkunegaran Palace..but I just talk about The Palace of Kasunanan Surakarta, the greatest one that give influencing for developing batik here.

And by the series of these shots, hopefully I could share and bring you to know a bit about The City of Batik..

 

1.The Palace of Kasunanan Surakarta…. is the center of art and culture in Surakarta and also some parts of Central Java. There are many arts and culture things that influenced from this place..One of  it is an old great culture, The Batik.

               

2.Pasar Klewer …. is the main batik market in Surakarta. It build at the era of PakuBuwono X , one of famous king in Kasunanan Surakarta..There is a curve big gate at front of this market. At the peak of gate , there is a symbol of Kasunanan Palace.

       

3.The Traditional Artist of Batik….at one of a workshop place, there are several old and young ladies making batik together..There are many old ladies still batiking until now..Hopefully it will become more young generation to studying, continueing and keeping one of this heritage culture.

4.Batikking…. slowly but sure, the lady is batikking a motif on a silk..Long time ago, there’s special motif and color only for Royal Family at Palace..but now as walk as modern era, there are many motif and color of batik that can aplicated and used for many people outside the palace..

5.The Batik…. After several months and following several steps to produce the best quality of Batik, finally we could “see, touch and feel”  The Beautiful Batik in the right place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: #2010wnphoto

About cakgoengjournal


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.