Existing Member?

My Trip

Flew South for the Winter

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 18 January 2011 | Views [412] | Comments [2]

Title technically true as we went south and it is winter.

In the morning after we arrived we ate breakfast at the guest house which was pretty bad but it was cheap and filling, before we headed down to the pier to get a boat over to Rabbit Island, the main attraction of Kep. The boat ride was a little rocky and a giant flying beetle thing followed us the whole way. The island was beautiful and the beach heavenly. After a few ordering mishaps at the restaurant I ended up with chocolate and banana pancakes (pretty good) and a coffee with milk (bad idea, more later). After relaxing on the beach for a few hours and calling home we headed back to the restaurant for lunch. The majority of the group had seafood which was weird and entertaining for me, never having seen people eat seafood. I on the other hand just ordered fried noodle and egg. I managed two bites before I felt too nauseous to continue. My nausea carried on throughout the afternoon though subsided while I had a beautiful massage on the beach. The boat ride back was nicer than the first although my nausea began to grow. By the time we reached the dock I was feeling pretty terrible.

As the second boat with our group on it had become stranded (we were too big for one boat) 4 of us went ahead to Kimly's (the best seafood place in town). When we reached the restaurant I went straight to the bathroom (occupied of course) and proceeded to throw up all over the floor. Clare was really good and came to my aid and the staff were very polite about having to clean up the mess. Needless to say I only had water for dinner. The restaurant however was incredible. Our table looked right out over the water and we watched a beautiful sunset.

Upon getting back to the guest house (I had been sick twice more by this point) I was really 10x worse and most definantly had food poisoning. So unfortunately I never got to the concert :-( I spent until about 4 in the morning switching between hanging over the toilet and tossing in bed along with two distraught calls home. At 4.30 I gave up on the idea of sleep and went outside wrapped in my mossie net and played with 3 of the cutest puppies instead.

I was finally able to sleep around 5 so I managed a little under two hours before everyone got up to make the early bus back to Phnom Penh. I however opted to get the later bus (1.00) with Chris, Robin and Nick so that I didn't need to rush around. Around 9 the 4 of us headed over to Astrid and Maddy's fancy hotel for brunch and a rest by the pool. I had only lemon juice with sugar as that is supposed to help stomach upsets, which it did until it came back up an hour later. I was horrible sitting around the table watching everyone else eat all of this delicious looking Western food so I found a pool chair in the shade where I tried to update my journal but I fell asleep first. So after a quick trip to the hotel bathroom (fun fun) we went to catch our bus.

The bus ran on Cambodian time and so was 28minutes late. The bus was nicer and more comfortable than I expected and the journey didn't take too long after the driver stopped stopping (once he got out to buy Coke). Overall it was possibly between 3-4 hours. Robin and I had a great time making fun of the crazy Chinese movie and the weird Khmer music videos that were playing. When I got home I called Mum to let her know I was still alive and went straight to bed, I hardly even managed to great the 3 new volunteers.

Comments

1

OMG I HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER - its sad that you had to go to this beautiful place and then get food poisoning i hope you are doing better!!!!!!
i got your postcard its beautiful and i miss you too.
man i hope you are feeling better - please update to let us worrywarts at home know how you are
miss you

  Worried sick (no pun intended) Jan 18, 2011 7:30 PM

2

Sorry to hear you got food poisoning I got the same thing in Penang.
the good news is it usually only lasts 24 hours plus you are so much luckier than me I got it on the last day on the flight home and felt sorry for the airport cleaners.
Hope your feeling better soon. Love Lis

  Lis Jan 18, 2011 7:53 PM

About caitlinak


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.