Existing Member?

Around the World

Phonm Penh

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 20 October 2007 | Views [553]

The second we stepped off the musty coffin like boat (we could sit in the sun on the roof though, and that was fabulous) we were surrounded by tuk tuk drivers all trying to take us to guesthouses for comission. One lone driver had a sign that said "I speak English, drive tuk tuk but I don't want to bother you" so we went with him. For $3 a night we stayed on the riverside. Our place had a little flooding and no lock on the bathroom door, but there was a great deck on the water with good food and constant movies. I met some cool girls from England and guys studying abroad for law school in Hong Kong. We went to the S21 museum which was a prison made from a high school. It was interesting to read the stories from the victims families and see pictures, but is was really sad as well. The killing fields were sad too, but disappointing because they just looked like flooded holes and there was very little information. They had a monument full of skulls which was really weird. We went over to the lakeside for drinks with a British couple we'd met and saw the fancier part of town. We were very ready to get the bus to Saigon the next day to escape the vendors and tuk tuk drivers.

Tags: Sightseeing

About busyliz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.