Existing Member?

The Path For Today

Realizing Reality

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 3 May 2014 | Views [174] | Scholarship Entry

It's a feeling that has no descriptive word. Relief, excitement, delight, satisfaction, liberation, or re-enforcement; it may possibly be a combination of these but is certainly not a single one standing alone. Maybe relief and satisfaction, that you are here in this moment, at this place, doing something that only a few days prior you would have never imagined. Maybe excitement and delight, that this current experience, will forever be engrained in your existence. Possibly liberation and re-enforcment, that you made the correct decision to step from the comforts of your former life and embark on this journey.

It is not a feeling of disbelief. It never causes you to say, "This is crazy," or ask, "How did I end up here?" It is rather full of reassurance, something that says, "I'm here, where I wanted to be, It's real, and I'm living it."

It is a feeling that will wash over you whenever it desires; it cannot be controlled. It will come to linger upon you, as you admire the alluring changes in light that the setting sun casts across the iconic Opera House and Harbour Bridge, backdropped by the skyline of the city that is reflected amongst the mirror like water of the Sydney Harbour. It can flutter through your mind as you lean back to stare upon the glamours colors emitted by the lights of the high rise buildings in Surfers Paradise, only to be gone as you lean forward to place another playful kiss upon the lips of the cute English girl whom you have grown fond of. It is the only intangible remaining in your skull while your legs quiver and heart pounds as you stare blankly into the sea on the horizon, hearing the 5-4-3-2 countdown, before you dive face first from the 50 meter high bungy tower towards the jungle below. It takes a hold of your very being, as Uluru's magnetic pull on your soul makes nothing else matter in the world save for the unmatched beauty of Mother Nature's paintbrush.

It is the feeling that comes when you realize that those thoughts that occupied your mind as you sat in meetings, nodding your head occasionally to give the impression that your attention was not elsewhere, now occupy your senses, taking on scent, taste, feel, and sound. Your dreams have become reality, files that have been cut from the part of your brain that dreams only to be pasted into the part that remembers.

It is an amazing feeling, one that I have only felt since I started traveling, and I hope that you will one day experience it yourself.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About buchnastie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.