Existing Member?

Live in the Moment

Hotel De Glace

CANADA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

Walking out the front door of my lodge, I am instantly breathless in the cold, crisp air. My goose bumps erupt across my body, igniting my senses. My teeth shattered. My body shivered. I glanced at the outside thermometer for explanation. It read -11 degrees, subzero. Welcome to Quebec City.

Most would be mortified to walk into freezing temperatures in the middle of January, but not I. Instead, the cold gave me a sense of life. A sensational rush came over me that was both exhilarating and oddly refreshing. There I stood, bundled from head to toe, ready to embark on a day full of winter adventures at Hotel de Glace.

The car crunched through the snow, as Hotel de Glace grew into full view. Although the sun was beaming in the sky, only pure white surrounded this architectural phenomenon. The arched hotel entrance stood as a monument in itself, framed with detailed wooden doors and 15,000 tons of structural ice and snow! The hotel floor was made of snow, and the walls of detailed ice. There were visitors from all over the world. I was quickly drawn to the small ice slide, upon which I slid down several times like a kid in a candy store.

There was a “James Bond”-esque bar that was all made of ice. I ordered a drink that came in a glass, chiseled out of a block of ice. Okay, I know what you are thinking: drink this, and kiss your tongue goodbye! Like you, I was concerned, but my tongue remained in tact. I would advise you, however, not to take off your gloves, like me, to take a picture, while holding your ice glass and sitting at an ice table. I think I was nearly frostbitten after only 20 seconds, ouch! And, be sure not to consume too many cocktails. This ice oasis comes complete with a wedding chapel; I would hate for something unexpected to happen. This is not Vegas people, though it could be quite an infamous story!

Should you wish to brave the cold subzero winter nights of Quebec, you can rent a room. Depending on the room level you purchase, you can expect to see colored lights, ice carved beds, chairs, and tables. The ice beds were covered with different types of animal skins and furs for blankets, and plush sleeping bags. There were hot tubs located near by just in case you need a warm dip, which I am sure will come in handy for overnight visitors. Maybe one day, I too, can bear the cold weather and spend the night in this architecturally posh Eskimo paradise.

Hotel de Glace in Quebec is the ideal winter escape!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About bsalt


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.