Existing Member?

A backpack and a blank page

Detached from the world - Boipeba’s dazzling beach, Moreré

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [214] | Scholarship Entry

People from the state of Bahia, Brazil, are known throughout the country for their laziness. This reputation is, in my opinion, the product of a big misunderstood. The “baianos”, those who are born in the beautiful northeast-beachy-culture-rich state, just have a different concept of time - and profit.

However even in Bahia this poetic perspective may be fading with the pace of modern life, there’s still a hopeful oasis just off the coast. After all, what better place to preserve this idealistic way of living than an island?

Detached from the shore - and the world -, Boipeba Island floats on the Atlantic Ocean, south of the “lazy” state.

A plane, bus and boat ride later, there’s still one mode of transportation that you’ll have to take to get to our final destination: passengers fasten your seatbelts because the tractor is shaky.

After the bumpy ride, you’ll land on the coziest green sea beach of the island. Moreré is on the other side of the small and rustic harbor from where the boats arrive, so it’s even more small and rustic - no phone signal, no wifi, and electric energy only until 10pm.

There you’ll find beatiful coconut trees melted in search of the sun, lying on top of the emerald sea. You’ll taste the richness of simplicity: “moqueca de banana da terra”, a fish and banana stew so flavourful that you’ll laugh at your next dinner at a fancy restaurant. You’ll meet the natives, with african and indigenous background.

Of course it’s not only the lack of internet access that sets Moreré apart. The locals are also responsible for the pay-attention to-what-really-matters rhythm. I’ll tell you one particular event that summarises the laid-back vibe of Boipeba: during my stay there, someone told me about the world-famous fish and manioc fried dumpling deliciousness on a small cabana at the beach. I walked and walked until I got there, preparing my taste buds with excitement. When I made my order, the cook was sitting, admiring the ocean. She said to me:

“I’m sorry, but I can’t make it right now - it’s such a beautiful day! Why don’t you take a dip on the water and when the sun sets I’ll make one for you?”

My first instinct was to be upset about the situation, but then I looked at the view as a ray of sunlight touched the wave and blinked at me.

People from Boipeba have everything they need there: water from the coconut, beautiful food from the sea and land, and knock-out scenery. They need nothing else.

Do you?

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About brunacataldi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.