Existing Member?

Life in Exploration

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [231] | Scholarship Entry

I still remember the moment when I discovered the story of one of the most inspiring women I’ve met, as a tiny blip in a local newspaper. The article was about a protest organized by rural women against the local authorities, in a remote town in North India. But, what caught my eye was the description of their leader-“Sampat Pal Devi, an illiterate woman in North India fights corruption and a divisive caste system with just sticks and pink saris”. I knew I had to meet this woman who dares to question tradition in the most conservative part of India. So I traveled to Uttar Pradesh in search of Sampat Pal and I finally met her in Attara, a tiny village in the heart of the largest state in India. There she was at a public rally, mobilizing women from nearby villages to storm a local police station for not taking any action in a dowry case. Her fearless and spirited personality moved me tremendously. I knew that her story needed to be told, to give a strong voice to women who are still afraid to fight against repressive customs in rural India. My dream as a documentary filmmaker is to capture such extraordinary stories of ordinary people in the world. The challenge was to execute this story in the field all by myself. The conditions were harsh for shooting and traveling with Sampat was not at all easy. But in the end it was all worth it, to watch someone as feisty as Sampat Pal, who now leads more than 100,000 women in her fight against child marriage, dowry deaths and sexual violence in the often ignored parts of India.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About browngirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.