Existing Member?

travels across europe a haphazard journal of thoughts and witticisms from the road

europe - day 2: landshut, germany

GERMANY | Wednesday, 20 October 2010 | Views [738]

22-9-10

Slept well, feeling peckish we walked into a bakery and found pretzels. OMG. they are my new favourite food. preztel mit butter. too good to be true, they are even better than i had hoped for. the butter is very creamy here and more white than yellow, and the pretzels really are salty so they really do make you thirsty! today was an exploration day. we walked through the main square - the roads are cobblestones throughout the city square, normal roads everywhere else. fruit and veggie stalls dotted all over the square, - bananas were nice - in between al fresco cafes and expensive boutiques and a hell of a lot of optical stores and apoteke!!! another thing, there seems to be a big italian influence here, lots of cafes, restaurants, gelateria.

we went inside the great big church – st martins - thats smack bang in the middle of the town square! its unbelieveable! the ceiling is just so high and the architechture is something to see! its fascinating to think they built this thing by hand. now im not into churches (or so i thought) but this was just the most gorgeous place i had ever been in. the pipe organ was massive too, would have been nice to have heard it playing - they were having a concert there later in the week that we would miss :(

found a penny market, like a cheaper aldi! the things in there were quite interesting, love that you can buy beer and wine in the supermakrket - and so cheap too. grabbed an emmenthal and salut baguette from the cafe inside the supermarket – which was rather nice actually! - then continued wandering around the city. we decided to do a reconnaisance of the city and see how long it would take us to walk to the train station. turns out, about 20 mins or so, not that far! we found a pay phone when we got to the station so made a quick call to mum and dad, just to let them know we were alive and well :) i think we talked for about 5 or so minutes, it cost over €8!!!! but was worth it. we found gelato and sat in the park very close to our hostel, in the sun!

the chestnut trees (castagna) are dropping their fruit - and trying to kill you! they are just about everywhere you look, they are quite lovely and supply a lot of shade as their leaves are so wide. the leaves are changing and falling and the trees create long tunnels through the park, its quite a sight to see, especially as the river runs by. we could have fallen asleep here it was so relaxing, but we decided to go grab a coffee to perk us up and do some more exploring. alfresco dining in the afternoon sun is one of lifes little pleasure i think. the coffee was very weak but the cake, oh the cake! chocolate torte of some description, had very thin layers of really soft, fluffy sponge sandwiched between fluffy whipped chocolate butter cream. did i mention that the butter here seems to be so much creamier? imagine the creamy buttercream yum! all topped with a chocolate ganache. oh wow. soaked in the sun some more then it was time for a beer. yes you heard me right. beer o'clock. now those who know me know that i am not really a beer drinking kinda gal. on the contrary. but here in bavaria, they know how to make a beer, and there is something about sitting in a beergarden in the afternoon sun with castagna trying to kill you that makes the beer taste all the more sweeter :D i really love the beer, i was even drinking 1/2 ltr steins and keeping up with tom. it just goes down so well! we walked into the drei helmen biergarten and were greeted with "ahh the australians!!!". we met klaus' father who only spoke a little english, but seemed very interested to know where we had come from and where we were going. the family here is just so lovely.

today we walked the whole city, from gate to gate. the city gates and some of the walls are still here, its the ginormous castle grounds!!! after the beer we walked up to the trausnitz castle on the hill at twilight, which was really amazing and a little surreal. i felt like i was a weary traveller knocking at the city gates late at night looking for food and shelter for me and my horse! very surreal. then the fire brigade turned up, about a dozen firemen got out, they just stood around for a chat as far as i could tell, nothing exciting.

we walked back to the main street for some italian food – we had a margherita pizza, and a caprese salad which were both amazing, and i had a glass of prosecco, though i thought prosecco was a sweet wine, it was rather dry. we had a fun time conversing with the waiter, bouncing from german and english to italian!!!!

there was a full moon shining right behind the castle, which i tell you, i could have stared at all night, simply stunning. it all got too much so we headed off for bed where we both slept like logs.

Tags: bavaria, beer, landshut, trausnitz castle

About broken_shadows


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.