Existing Member?

Moroccan Ramadan

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

MOROCCO | Thursday, 24 March 2011 | Views [560] | Scholarship Entry

Moroccan Ramadan

The sun is setting in Marrakesh; the lively markets are becoming quieter as the heat from the day dissipates. Amazing sounds of bartering in the markets; and tourists asked if they need a taxi or Moroccan merchandise filled the air. Numerous donkey’s and carts moving through the streets, locals and tourists busy walking around the cramped markets. Snake charmers play their mesmerising music for their spellbound cobras. I am standing in the middle Djemaa el Fna; trying to absorb as much of the surreal atmosphere as I can when everything around me seems to stop. The sounds that are becoming more familiar are overpowered by an air raid siren being broadcast.

I look around in a panic and wonder what is going on. I think to myself; is there trouble in Marrakesh? What do these air raid sirens mean? Remembering how concerned mum was that I was going to Morocco. The concierge from the hotel observes my anguish at not knowing what was going on. He enlightens me by welcoming me to the holy month of Ramadan; the sirens are to signify the commencement of their celebrations for breaking their fast from sunrise to sunset.

Listening more closely to the air raid sirens, the prayers are being chanted through the loudspeakers, bringing magic to the air. The mosque in the distance, with the earthy red tones of the Sahara desert surrounding the town; seems to glow with the sun setting in the distance.

The temperature today was relentless- hot, dry 35-40 degrees today; the locals have fasted since sunrise; it amazes me how they survive the day without severe dehydration. I remember seeing some of the locals lying on the ground in the shade for most of the day, and presume this was their way of conserving their energy and keeping their hydration levels high.

Preparation for their celebrations begin well before the sun goes down; the markets and restaurants close as they begin their feast when the sunsets. The festivities continue in the coolness of the night sky until the sun rises in the morning. For a tourist this signifies the perfect time to have a ‘siesta’ Moroccan style, with the restaurants and markets closed, the once vibrant markets deserted, it is time to head back to the hotel for a rest.

When the ‘breakfast celebrations’ are concluded it is time for the restaurants and markets to become lively all evening. Lights were bringing a warm glow over the famous Marrakesh Souk. There are 3 colourful men wearing colourful knitted hats with dangling pom poms around the brim, knitted shawls with vibrant colours, and friendly, welcoming smiles. There are fresh orange juice stalls have queues of people, the amazing stalls have incredible coloured cones of fresh spices, huge bowls of fresh olives of every colour, and the most amazing soft, fresh tasty dates.

Experiencing a Moroccan Ramadan was an incredible three weeks; the festivities that occur during this time make it a unique time to travel.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About briana


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.