Existing Member?

Sun is Shining...

Vang Vieng (Laos)

LAOS | Wednesday, 9 May 2007 | Views [3458] | Comments [3]

Vang Vieng from across the river

Vang Vieng from across the river

Tubbing, rope swings, rock climbing, mountain biking, and caving...the last few days in Vang Vieng have been pretty amazing!!!

I think that Camille and I are both wishing that we had more time to spend in Laos (of course we both feel very fortunate for the amount of time we have been able to travel thus far, but Laos has exceeded our expectations).

The lifestyle in this town is a little goofy - there are tons of backpackers in their early twenties enjoying the many substances that are readily available in Laos (it is, after all, part of the "golden triangle") and that spend hours in cafes that show t.v. re-runs of "Friends" and the "Simpsons" night and day.  Nonetheless, there is a reason why so many people make the effort to come to Vang Vieng - it's BEAUTIFUL and there are endless activities for the adventurous!

We spent our first day tubbing down a river (basically floating from make-shift bar to make-shift bar, occassionally having a beer Lao and enjoying one of the many rope swings or zip-lines); we spent our second day rock climbing on the river (it's the same type of rock found in southern Thailand); and today we biked to a couple of the caves in the surrounding limestone mountains.  All and all, a great way to spend some of our lasts days in Laos.

Tomorrow we are off to Vientienne, and then to Cambodia.  I'm sure that we'll post some pictures from Ankor Wat.

Much love from Laos,

Brian and Camille

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

people

the photos, the stories, everything looks jawdroppingly beautiful!

can't wait to see ya and keep having awesome times

love
harris

  harris eisenstadt May 12, 2007 7:38 AM

2

I went tubbing in our basement which was under 3 inches of raw sewage. Some people might think that you were taking risks climbing mt everest but it was really me that took the biggest risk tubbing throuhgh sewage and hepititus C. Just kidding --- but we did have a flood. Anyway it looks like the trip of all trips to take and hopefully while I am still strong enough to go tubbing and climbing Susie and I will be more than happy to follow in your footsteps. Awesome pictures. I am sure when you get back you will have lots of good stories to tell Max and Sam.

  Mark G May 15, 2007 10:53 AM

3

Ahhh, Laos my love! So happy to hear you guys made it there. I almost died in Vang Vieng, but whatever the caves are incredible. I hope you make it to Buddha Park in Vientienne (and the French street sandwichs rock!!!)---Cam you'll flip when you see this place! Can't wait to hear all the stories....oh, and Cambodia!!! mmmm, lovin' it! Is there anyway you guys will stroll through Guatemala on your way back? Oh. Just a suggestion. ;)

  Doritooooooo May 15, 2007 12:21 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.