Existing Member?

Sun is Shining...

Solu-Khumbu

NEPAL | Thursday, 26 April 2007 | Views [852]

The Solu-Khumbu is a region of Northeastern Nepal that encompasses many of the highest mountains in the world... Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyo, etc.  A very majestic mountain range!!!  and it's home to the Sherpa people who practice Tibetan Buddhism and more recently have become well known mountain climbers, guides, and chaperones for climbing expeditions from all over the world.    

We trekked for twelve days in this region and visited a number of small villages, a small peak (at least small for the Himalaya – it was over 17,000 feet), frozen lakes, and many large glaciers.   

The scenery in this region was amazing and as we got higher in the mountains we were surrounded by outstanding views in every direction (I have over 200 photos of mountains to show anyone who is interested).  The hillsides in the lower parts were also filled with things to see: terraced fields, spring flowers, trees in bloom, and an abundance of mani stones and prayer wheels. 

One highlight was sharing a guesthouse with some Italian tourists (who happened to be wildlife biologists and veterinarians) who had just seen a SNOW LEAPORD!  It seemed unreal until they showed us some photos of it with the baby yak that it had killed.  The next day we randomly enjoyed lunch with an Italian professor who has been visiting Nepal for ten years studying the snow leopard and has yet to see one! 

All and all it was another amazing experience, one which deepened our love for Nepal, its people, and of course, the majestic mountains that cover its landscape.

Camille and Brian

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.