Existing Member?

Journey to Colombia

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

COLOMBIA | Monday, 28 February 2011 | Views [275] | Scholarship Entry


Journey to Colombia

I am greeted in the moment between sleep and waking with sounds of salsa music blaring out of local shops. A man yells on the street “aguacate” to let us know he has a cartful of fresh avocados. After getting ready, I leave my apartment, and upon opening the door stumble onto plastic cell phone cases for sale on the street by a local vendor. I am bombarded by color- orange of the tangerines, green limes, yellow mangos, bright clothing against dark skin. I smell fried foods such as bunuelos, empanadas, and patacon (fried plantain). I walk past the sunglasses man, and a man selling tamarind juice. The sun bears down on me intensely and it's only 8am. I look again, fascinated at the balconies, the bougainvillea vines, the brightly colored buildings, and grin in a state of infatuation.

How did I get here? I wasn't even supposed to be in Colombia. The journey started in Argentina and by a twist of chance through meeting good friends in Buenos Aires I was invited to spend the holidays with my Colombian friend and his family. My friend and I started our trip there by meeting in Cuzco, Peru. Through a series of long and scenic bus rides up the coast of Peru, the mountains of Ecuador, and a flight from Quito to Bogota, we finally arrived.

We came over to our friend's parents house on December 24th, fully decorated in Christmas regalia down to the place mats. In Colombia, Christmas is celebrated the night before the 25th. Everyone piled into the house and we soon met a huge extended family. His brother brought a bottle of aguardiente, a local alcohol with anise flavor. He tried to get the whole family to take shots, and this is how the party began. We drank, we talked, and we danced salsa in the living room to a local radio show until the countdown to Christmas. Ten seconds before, we counted down as if it were New Years Eve. At midnight it was Christmas, and we all hugged and wished each other a Merry Christmas. Afterwards, we opened presents, and eventually at one in the morning we ate dinner. Differences in traditions did not take away from the kindness and sheer exuberance that this family and really most of Colombian people have.

Later, I arrived in Cartagena de Indies, known for pirate battles, emeralds, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. There I found a walled city with classic architecture. I found the Cartagena for the tourists inside the walled “Centro Historico” . I found the other side to Cartagena; people in adobe hot boxes in 100 degree weather, minimal furnishings, dusty roads, and this “spirit of entrepreneurship” of street vendors. I found a cultural mix of African, Indigenous, and Spanish. I found African dancers and a rich musical history of Vallanato and Cumbia. Finally, I am fascinated by this diverse place and what I uncover. I discover a new Colombia everyday.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About breeviajando


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.