Existing Member?

Tempting Thailand

Tempting Thailand

THAILAND | Wednesday, 8 September 2010 | Views [339]

These photos tell the story of my first overseas experience. 

In February, 2010 I flew to Thailand for two weeks where I visited Bangkok and Phuket. I flew into Bangkok first and stayed for four days. Then flew to Phuket and stayed for the remainder of the two weeks

On the first day of my tours we visited the Floating Markets in Bangkok. This was a great experience. The crowds of tourists and locals was amazing and shopping from a boat was very different to the way I'm use to shopping. I bought so much and also had a drink from a coconut. Not exactly my favourite refreshment. The floating markets were my favourite shopping experience in Thailand.

Also on the first day I visited the Grand Palace. Amazing! The details in the temples and other buildings is unbelievable. The amount of effort that must go into each building is astonishing. There was one building there (pictured) that was covered in millions of tiny gold tiles.

On the second day of touring I went on a cruise of the River Kwai and the Bridge over the River Kwai. The water was so still and calm. a perfect photo opportunity. But the best part of this tour was the history. I went to a WWII museum on the bank of the river. It was very interesing to learn about how the Prisoners of War were treated and to learn that the POW actually built the Bridge over the River Kwai.

On the fifth day I flew into Phuket and on the sixth day I went elephant trekking. I was driven way up into the jungle. I met my elephant, Maki, and fell inlove with her. She was beautiful. She took me through the breathtaking environment with the exquisite mountains surrounding me and the calming rapids. I didn't want to leave her.

On day seven I went on a tour of the Phi Phi Islands, or James bond Island. They were absolutely stunning. Giant jagged rocks poking randomly out of the water and sand made of tiny shells and pebbles. If it wasn't so well known by the tourists it may have been a very quiet, relaxing beach. After walking around one of the islands for a bit, I was taken on a canoe ride around the islands. The person paddling took me to all these hidden, secluded places in the rocks. A couple of times taking me through a tiny opening in the rocks that would open up into this magnificent open area. 

I loved Thailand, and still miss it. The people were very friendly, the shopping was great, the food was better and the beaches so warm. Hopefully I will be able to save up and go back some day.

Grand Palace

Grand Palace

Tags: elephant trek, floating markets, grand palace, phi phi islands, river kwai

 

About breeanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.