Existing Member?

Pretending to be brave as I stumble through my adventures

Metal Rods and Wooden Planks

CHINA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [329] | Scholarship Entry

I could hear no other sound except my light footsteps, the clanking of chains as I held on to them for my dear life and the pounding of my heart. My previous excitement waned as I navigated down metal rods haphazardly embedded on a mountain. My emotions were slowly being replaced by fear, and my rational side compels me to turn back and quit. How did I end up here again? Despite my lingering doubts, I push through with the help of adrenaline and perhaps sheer stubbornness.

I was in Huashan, a sacred mountain in China made popular by its plank walk. I learned about this cliffside wooden plank walk through an internet article, and I was intrigued at first and then obsessed, and then I knew it was the inevitable. I would not rest until I can experience this glorious mountain for myself.

This 'Plank walk in the sky' as they call it, is nothing more than three narrow planks of wood bolted to the side of the mountain, secured by thick nails and probably some brave people who were willing to build it. It is dubbed the most dangerous trail hike in the world. The title itself could be contested but I could definitely see where it got its reputation as I navigated a series of footholds carved on the side of the mountain. I am immediately grateful for the harness that secures me to a thin piece of rope. Anything is better than nothing. The false sense of security brought about by my harness helps me to muster up enough courage to complete this challenge. I kept my body as close to the mountain as possible while keeping a secure grip on the chains.

It was exhilarating when I finally stepped on the wooden plank itself. This wasn't just me overcoming my fear; this was me accomplishing something I had set out to do. It did not matter that I had to fly by plane to get to China. It did not matter that I could not speak the language and thereby had some delays due to miscommunication. It did not matter that I wasn't the fittest person in the world and had to make multiple stops on my ascent up the mountain. It did not matter that I was alone because none of my friends were insane enough to come with me. What matters is that is that I stuck by my dream even though it's just a crazy dream of a girl who's just discovered that she craves travel and adventure. Bring on the next challenge.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About bravetravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.