Existing Member?

The Journey Called Life

The Meteor Shower That Changed My Life

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [1049] | Scholarship Entry

Right there, in the top left-hand corner, it zoomed across the sky leaving a trail of sparkling dust before disappearing into oblivion as though it had never happened. I swear it even made a sound like the sparklers I light on the Fourth of July. I sat up quickly, looking around to see if anyone else witnessed what had just taken place some hundreds of light years away. Everyone was distracted, watching and listening to the waves pounding against the rocks below us. They didn’t see it. I suppose that was the significance of the moment. I was surrounded by Earth’s symphonic masterpiece, a plethora of nature’s creative genius that so many before me have been inspired by, but at that moment it was only mine.
I let it soak in as another star fizzled across my outdoor television screen. The moment harmonized with the beating of my heart, synchronizing with the dreamers of the world. My mind buzzed as I contemplated how small I am compared to the infinite universe. The universe is enigmatic; my puny brain could not process all of my confusion quickly enough. The unresolvable issue was trying to consider how my life could leave even a dent in a universe so epic in proportion to me. I couldn’t muster up an answer.
Seconds went on as the showering of silver crystals swam across the sky. I was having a life-altering experience in a country I initially didn’t want to come to. It wasn’t my choice to travel to Australia, but at that moment I promised myself that one day I would come back to this fantasy land. I wanted to keep the moment to myself, but every great art piece deserves to be shared and experienced by many.
“A meteor shower!” My fellow group members looked up and gasped as the night sky played us its favorite feature film. As the moonlight reflected off the Pacific Ocean, amidst the rhythmic sound of the tide coming in, the light show above me forever etched itself in my memory. I’ve kept the promise I made to myself during that night. The fantasy land, called Australia, is now my home. I’ve followed the stars as I’ve come to search for meaning in my life. As I reflect on that night I’ve realized that people may think they are insignificant in terms of the workings of our universe, but to those who choose to live significantly, the universe is a guidebook on how to live - creative and limitless.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About branki187


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.