Existing Member?

Cause It's A Bittersweet Symphony This Life

Meet The King of Aitutaki

COOK ISLANDS | Tuesday, 27 March 2012 | Views [3412] | Scholarship Entry

Riki DeVon has been married three times and he’s getting ready to give wedlock a fourth try. 18 youngsters call him dad and he’s got so many grandkids that even he can’t remember all of them. He’s 54 years old but he will swear to be only 48. And you'll believe that.

Riki’s got three itches: music, fine women and good liquor. A woman by his side, he’ll always try to charm her with his tunes. The more he plays, the more he craves for rum. And as he hits the bottle, he falls in love with the woman by his side.

Most locals praise him as "The Uncrowned King of Aitutaki", but there are also quite a few who wouldn’t mind seeing him hanging at a rope’s end. Envy. Riki has always had the finest women – either locals or tourists. Business is going well though he never put on the face of a hard worker.

The man has been playing guitar ever since he can remember. He performed in Europe, Australia, the West Coast of the United California, Hawaii and New Zeeland. One time after a gig, he met none other than Keith Richards who was so impressed with Riki’s Polynesian tunes that he presented him with a yellow guitar. The grateful Riki decided that he would also borrow Keith’s girlfriend for the night. That didn’t upset any superstar. Those were the days…

Riki is the proud owner of a restaurant named after his oldest daughter: “Asti’s Bar and Restaurant” (now, try to guess the girl’s name!). The place was literally built out of rum, whiskey and wine bottles. “You’ve put in some long hours here, Riki. There are thousands of bottles in these walls!” I said to him. “Yes. The moment I would run out of building materials I would call upon my friends to make some more.”

If you set foot into "Asti's", I recommend you order the Parrot Fish in coconut sauce and Mahi Mahi with garlic. Add some star fruit for desert along with a light cocktail (“It’s only vodka, tequila and Campari”). And, of course, enjoy the music of The King.

Tags: aitutaki, cook islands, people, restaurants, travel writing scholarship 2012

About bradflorescu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cook Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.