Existing Member?

wizard of Aus

blog shmog

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 7 December 2008 | Views [335]

this is my new year's resolution... to have a blog. how are you liking it so far? i'm feeling pretty good about it.

i am going to sum up this sunburned country with one really good blog, right here, right now.

the biggest thing is the false advertising, i was sure that life in australia would be a daily battle with poisonous spiders, deadly snakes, man-eating crocodiles and savage hungry sharks... but it most certainly is NOT. i believe, and have read others of the same opinion, that this a marketing ploy, an ego thing if you will. that being said, we have seen huge 15' grey nurse sharks, pee-your-pants big salt-water crocodiles, red back spiders etc etc etc and have escaped unscathed and fairly impressed.

Who should come to australia? everyone, even you. it's a stunning country with vivid contrasts. kangaroos... come on, there's kangaroos on the side of the road. the wildlife is fantastic. now i know what an echidna, bandikoot, kookabura, dingo, platypus, wombat look like in person. it is very similar to canada and that's sort of the strangest thing about it... is that it's not that strange. d'ya get it?

what's wrong with it? the sun will burn the shit out of you if you don't watch it. it doesn't feel that hot but you go straight past pink directly to lobster red.

racism is still very much alive and thriving in most towns and generally in anyone over 40. i wittnessed some asshole swerve at a group of aboriginals crossing the road, one having to jump out of the way. no way!! for many people this is just a fact of life for them; "i'm racist" they will announce matter-of-factly as if to say that all future comments of that nature will be excused due to the fact that racism has been admitted. ok then, that makes it all ok.

i must say though, that i have met a considerable amount of wonderful and kind people here.

where to go??

the northwest coast is stunning. from Broome to down

About brad-and-christie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.