Existing Member?

The Yoga Nomads

Our favorite foods from around the world

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 4 February 2015 | Views [446]

In 2014, Anne and I traveled to 11 countries in Asia over a period of about 11 months. During this time we discoverd an intense love for food! We decided that exploring local foods is our favorite way to get to know local culture while making our tastbuds happy. Food is very often the center of Asian culture and we're so happy to share our "food experiences" with the world!

In no particular order, here are my top 5 food experiences in Asia!

 

#1 Vietnamese Food

I cannot believe how simple and fresh Vietnamese street food is! We went all over the country searching for the best dishes around. Our favorites include Bun Cha Hanoi, Bun Mam, Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gao, and the stinky fruit Durian! The best food around is often found on the street side. Locals pass on their family recipe from generation to generation!

 

#2 Sri Lankan Food

Before arriving in Sri Lanka, we anticpated the food to mimic South Indian food since they are so close and share a intertwined past. Boy where we wrong! Sri Lankan food tastes outstanding and is very healthy!

 

#3 Withlocals eating experience in Vietnam

Before coming to Asia we had never heard of Withlocals.com - turns out its our new favorite service! Essentially tourists purchase experiences with locals nearby, often centered around food. Nailed it! 

 

#4 Eating Thai food in Thailand!

Thai food was always a favorite of mine but I stuck to Green curry and Pad Thai. However once we landed in Thailand, my eyes were opened to the world wide web of flavors. Mark Weins from Migrationology lists his favorite 100 Thai foods which is a great place to start!

 

#5 Eating sushi in Japan

Sushi is one of my favorite foods and after going to Japan I can still rate raw fish at the top of the list. I could not believe how much more flavor comes out when the fish is raw! Of course CNN names it one of the top 50 foods of all time!

 

Stay tuned for more food journals!

Brandon

Tags: japan, sri lankan food, sushi, thailand, vietnamese food, withlocals

About bquittem


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.