Existing Member?

Travel Stories

Winter Racing, Winter Travel

USA | Tuesday, 10 December 2019 | Views [2680]

https://live.staticflickr.com/3787/11404365064_72accac539_d.jpg

 

If you love cycling, then winter is as good as any other season when it comes to the sport.

If you suffer the cold, then being a spectator instead of a competitor may be the best for you.

Getting your bearings, whether or not you’re using any (a small cycling joke), is of course up to you as an individual.

But, whether you’re watching or wanting to take part, there are plenty of races around the US worthy of taking a trip to over the coldest months, this and next, year. They make for a great trip, adding excitement to a winter break whether you’re a cycling fanatic already or not. Combining cycling with sightseeing is, of course, our favorite, and a great option for couples who travel if one cycles and the other does not.

 

Some of the races include:

- 50th Annual polar Bear Ride (Jan 1): kick off the new year with this ride that began way back in the 1970s. It occurs in Indiana.


- Key West Century Ride (Jan 17): this 1 day, 100 mile cycle tour takes in some impressive scenery and is considered one of the most beautiful areas in Florida.

- Triple D Winter Race (Jan 18): this endurance trail can be undertaken on bike or by foot, and is situated in Iowa.

- Frozen Fat Fondo Fest (Jan 25): set in Davenport, Iowa, this Mississippi-based race promises some serious speed as well as mud-immersed action.

- Old Man Winter Bike Rally (Feb 9): a multi-sport event, this one again features running as well as cycling and is set amongst the rugged mountains and canyons of Colorado.

- Camino Real Double Century (Feb 14): see San Diego the pedal-head way in this race which takes in some spectacular climbs.

 

winter-cycling

 

There are lots of other races around the country, look up listings for your travel destination of choice in order to check out the action.

Racing never stops in this country, irrespective of wind, rain, hail, sleet, or even snow!


If you do plan to race, then registration is taking place now for this winter season events. And, needless to say, you need to both train yourself up to ready level of fitness, as well as prep all the right gear to use if the weather is due to be cold, wet, or even icy.

One word of warning: if you are planning to race, make sure to book your accommodation, at least for the first night, not too far from the race’s en point. Tired legs + travel = no good at all!

Enjoy your winter spree, whatever form it takes.

Happy cycling!

Tags: cycling, racing, winter travel

About bourniers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.