Existing Member?

Travel Stories

Uffizi Gallery and the best museums to visit in Florence

ITALY | Monday, 7 March 2016 | Views [2997]

There are so many museums in Florence, with a total of 72  it would be impossible to visit them all without needing a lot of spare time to do so. So which ones are the best museums in Florence and why are they better than the rest?

The Uffizi Gallery

Photo: Theo K

 Duke and Duchess of Urbino by Piero della Francesca (Photo: Theo K)
 

Of course, it really depends on personal taste but one museum that is probably the most popular of all is the Uffizi Gallery, or Galleria degli Uffizi, as it is called in Italian. The Uffizi is widely recognised as the most important museum of Renaissance art in the whole world. This museum includes paintings and sculptures by all the really famous artists from the Renaissance period, and includes work by Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Titian, Botticelli and Raphael.

(Photo: Mark Hintsa)

Uffizi Gallery, Florence (Photo: Mark Hintsa)

 

Whilst the Uffizi Gallery, for very many people, is the best museum in Florence and it is described as the “Heart of the Renaissance,” its popularity causes great queues to build up of all those wanting to visit it. The answer to this problem is to book tickets in advance. Another good way of avoiding the crowds is to book your place on an exclusive tour of the Uffizi Gallery. Located next to the Piazza della Signoria in the centre of the city, this famous art museum is easy to find, and is also within easy reach of hotels in Florence city center.

(Photo:ctj71081)

Michelangelo’s David (Photo:ctj71081)

 

The Accademia Gallery is another of the best museums in Florence. It is famous for its collection of works by Michelangelo, including the large statue known simply as “David.” The Accademia Gallery also houses the Museum of Musical Instruments and includes the work of Antonio Stradivari, who was famous for his violins, and Bartolomeo Cristofori, who invented the piano.

Bargello Museum

(Photo: faungg’s photos)

Visiting the Bargello Museum (Photo: faungg’s photos)

 

The Bargello Museum, as a historic building dates back to 1865, and it is one of the oldest museums in Italy. It was originally used as a city hall,  a prison and a police station before it became the museum it is today. The Bargello is mainly a gallery for sculptures containing works by very famous Renaissance artists, such as Michelangelo and Donatello. The Bargello also has a large collection of ceramics and old coins.

Museo dell’Opera del Duomo (Photo: Mark Hintsa)

Inside the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo (Photo: Mark Hintsa)

 

The Museo dell’Opera del Duomo is on this list of best museums to see in Florence because it contains many examples of artwork and sculpture that were originally created for the Duomo (Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore), and this church is one of the main attractions of the city. This museum includes displays of Duomo architect Brunelleschi’s plans.

Museo Galileo

(Photo: Anthony Crider)

Museo Galileo (Photo: Anthony Crider)

 

It is not only art works that are housed in the museums of Florence because many great inventors and scientists made their name in Italy too. One of the most famous was Galileo, and what was once known as the Institute and Museum of the History of Science has been renamed the Museo Galileo in his honour.

Tags: accademia gallery, bargello museum, duomo florence, florence, italy, museums, uffizi gallery

About bourniers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.