Existing Member?

Bosspacker

The Hunt for the Goddess of Dawn

ICELAND | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

"If this is a dream, don't wake me up", said Mira, my fiance, as we glaze to hypnotizing Aurora dance high above us. We just stood there, absorbing every second of that majestic moment.

~~~

It was Valentine's day. We sat in our car in silence while our eyes keep staring at the sky. Above us, thousand of stars twinkling like a sea of pearl with shiny full moon radiates its light, creating mystical ambiance. There were no sound, except howling wind from the Arctic. Under the bright moon light, I could see her sleepy face. We'd been hunting the light for four days and waiting for five hours every night in cold freezing winter in Thingvellir National Park, where a millennia ago, the fierceful Viking created the first parliament in the world.

The Northern lights or Aurora, named after the Goddess of Dawn, only show her dance in winter, in far northern hemisphere. She has fascinated mankind for millennia which inspired folklore and myths. The Vikings believed the lights are their ancestor's spirits in heaven while the Finns believed the lights were caused by a magical fox swiping his tail across the snow spraying up into the sky.

It was our last night in Iceland. We've come this far, 7.000 miles away from home. This was now or never moment. As the forecast dropped from level 5 to 1, desperation started to piled up as night passed by. It seems Fortuna abandon us once again. But then without warning, Mira screamed "look over there!" Far in horizon, we could see a glimpse of green light. I drove as fast as I could.

As we get off the car and with perfect synchronization, we cover our mouth and start mumbling "Oh my God". High above us, the mother earth show off her most glorious dance. We stood there marveling with our head tilted back and rotating in place as the lights dancing. She moves smoothly while sometime sparkling the rare red light. It was really hypnotizing. Julius von Payer, an Austrian explorer put it best: "No pencil can draw it, no colors can paint it, and no words can describe it in all its magnificent".

I hold her hands and she smiled at me. No words were spoken, but I can see from her eyes as if saying, "we did it". Then we just laying down there on the ground and watching the dance like a spectator sitting in first row of a famous ballet. The show took about half an hour, and when it started to fade, a small tears drop from my eyes. And on that cold Valentine's night during the final dance I said, "Now we can go back home in peace"

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About bosspacker


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.