Existing Member?

A Student Abroad

Understanding a Culture through Food - Day 52: I'm a country girl now

LATVIA | Sunday, 17 March 2013 | Views [131] | Scholarship Entry

For me, there are four sides to Latvia. The capital city, Riga: a busy, cosmopolitan place, similar to London, where most tourists go and where the President lives. It has the international airport, all the latest shops, the best theatres and so on but tradition still stays alive with the Freedom Monument, Latvia’s symbol of political history. Tucked away within Riga is the old town. As soon as you step into it, you’re transported back to the olden days walking on its cobblestone ground, charmed by horse and cart, entertained by traditional Latvian dances and 13th century churches still standing tall. And then you have the towns - like Valmiera: close-knit communities surrounded by serene untouched nature and just minutes away from relaxing with a book on the sandy banks of the largest river in Latvia. They have everything you need - cinema, post-office and shopping malls. And finally, the countryside. Having experienced the first three, I was asked by my boss to visit her “country house”, old houses in the middle of the countryside, to go mushroom- and berry-picking.

As we were driving away from Valmiera, the road ahead seemed endless. The surrounding landscape almost touched the clouds. I stepped out of the car and all I could hear was birdsong. A treehouse, small river, a vegetable allotment; it was as if I had travelled back to another time. Awe-stricken, I began to wonder why I needed to wear Wellies and “something to cover my head”, but then all was revealed.

As we drove deep into the forest, this is what I was told: “There will be a certain type of insect [not mosquitoes] that can stick to your skin and suck your blood. Some of them even carry a disease. Oh, and the snakes. Just make sure you don't step on one.” I don't think my travel insurance would have quite covered me being swallowed whole. Luckily, I didn't encounter any snakes but plenty of the little blood suckers instead. Buckets in hand, we spent the first few hours picking blueberries. We picked and we ate. After walking through marshes, leaping over fallen tree barks and trying not to fall in any hidden streams, I'm sure I was having mirages of mushrooms. Eventually, we were in luck!

For dinner: roasted sausages on an open fire, fresh tomatoes and cucumber, and for dessert: blueberries, Cheerios and milk. A simple Latvian countryside delicacy, quite literally right on your doorstep.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About bookworm93


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Latvia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.