Existing Member?

My World Discoveries

HAKUNA MATATA - Tanzania - no worries!

TANZANIA | Sunday, 19 February 2012 | Views [575] | Comments [1]

So I've now been in Tanzania for 2 weeks and 5 hours exactly...sorry that I've been a bit out of touch, but here's a bit of a speel of what I've been up to so far!

I got picked up from Kilimanjaro Airport on the 5th - about a 45 minute drive from the hostel in Arusha. It was obviously an overnight flight, so I slept between Jo'Burg and Dar es Salaam, but my first views of Tanzania were the sunrise from the aeroplane as we flew from there to Kili, then Mt Kilimanjaro as we flew past, and then Masai Warriors wandering across the arid land as we landed.

After catching up on sleep and settling into the hostel, I had a tour of some of the different projects that Ujamaa supports along with another older Aussie lady and an older Californian couple who had also arrived over the weekend. We started at a small orphanage/nursery school - NOCET (http://www.nocettanzania.com/) - which had just relocated and the hostel had only just begun to support, then went to another more established school, and finally to a more established orphanage. As well as walking, we caught daladalas along the main roads, which are just small minivans. At one stage I counted 24 people in the one that we were in.  As well as the driver there is also a guy on board that bangs the roof when it needs to stop, and collects the money from the passengers - anywhere between about 200-500 Tanzanian shillings (about 15-30cents for a ride!).
I suppose because it is less established, and didn't already have any volunteers, I decided that I would go back to NOCET at least to begin with, as well as the other three. The Californian couple are only here for a couple of weeks, and decided pretty much straight away that they wanted to set up a vegetable garden at the back of the place. I definitely agree that the idea has great potential, but Sandy (the Aussie) and I both had a bit of a laugh/whinge especially about the wife (Dianne) as she was so bull-headed about it from the start. It made me cringe a lot to see such minimal communication she attempted with the staff of the place, and the assumptions she made all within the first half hour. And the lack of listening to advice - Sandy tried to tell her about 5 times that lettuce would probably not be the wisest choice considering it's not normally part of their diet and has minimal nutritional content compared to a lot of other possible veggies!

On the Tuesday I decided to visit another school that a few of the girls are involved in. Susie - a Scottish girl my age - has been here for the past 8 months, raising money and organising the building of a new school for them on land that she was able to buy with the raised money. Again, it was tiny but had about 5 different classes of varying ages from about 4-9 years old. One of the other girls from the hostel introduced me to one of the teachers, and she suddenly decided that she had other things to do for the day (sit under a tree??!!!) so I could take over. Thankfully another girl who normally helps to take this class turned up at about the same time, so I just helped her for the most part, until she left early for lunch. At that point I had about an hour to fill in before 12pm so continued with heads, shoulders, knees and toes, then went on to practice the spelling of their names so I could remember them better! It was a class of about 7 5 year olds, who each were ridiculously switched on. Call me immature, but the highlight of my day was when they were to copy a diagram of the body into their books and an innocent little girl brought her's up for Sally and I to see and she had added boobies and poo. At that point I had to leave the room to stifle my laugh! haha.

The next morning I returned to NOCET with Sandy.  There are 6 orphans that live there - 5 of them who are older than 7 so go elsewhere for school. During the mornings there are about 9 other children that come for school.  There is one teacher and she has all 9 children - aged between 2 and 7 - in a tiny classroom (about 2x2metres). I went into watch for a little while, and felt so bad for her as it was obviously mission impossible trying to teach the older children, while also having 4 2 year olds to look after/attempt to teach numbers etc. Luckily the 'director' of the organisation - Mr Samwel - was there for the day so I was able to suggest to him and the teacher that Sandy and I use our time to look after/run playgroup type activities for the littlies while the teacher actually teach the older children. So that's what I've been doing while I've been there!

Later on the Wednesday afternoon I went back to the hostel and was chatting to some of the more 'long-term' girls who had a trip to Zanzibar planned for the weekend to go to a music festival - Sauti Za Busara (http://www.busaramusic.org/) - and then to the beach for a couple of days. So I headed back into town and bought a return flight for 7am the next morning...love traveller's spontaneity! haha. I had a little bit of a guilty conscience about it as I'd only just arrived, and had had such a good first day at NOCET but would be already running away the next day. But I'd read briefly about the music festival on my flight up here, and I was super keen to go to Zanzibar at some stage anyway so I took up the opportunity.

I was also feeling a little bit nervous, as I'd only just met these girls and they were all pretty close, but lucky after the first morning or so I felt pretty comfortable. We were supposed to be at the airport to check in an hour before our flight, we arrived exactly on time but the check-in desk didn't open for about half an hour. Then Carley 1 of the 3 others that I was flying across with, ticked off our names and we boarded without even pulling out our tickets!

We flew to Stonetown - a really intriguing Islamic city with tiny narrow winding streets - and were met by a guy that Claire (one of 2 other Aussie girls) knew and had hooked us up with an apartment-y place for us. We had 2 double beds and a double mattress on the floor for the 8 of us to start with, but were luckily able to get another mattress. It was definitely a bit of dusty place, with cold showers etc, but suited us perfectly fine and had a rooftop terrace (with no view except for of a random model Eiffel Tower!).  We just had a relaxing day, the other girls didn't get there til a bit later. Then we went to an amazing seafood market for dinner, which was a whole lot of stands full of all types of seafood on skewers which then get barbequed in front of you. Made me so wish you could have been there Mum! Three of us then went to the festival (the others were already too tired after a night out the night before), we only caught the last couple of acts - one of which was a cool latin-influenced reggaeish band, and the other was apparently Tanzania's most popular dance act but was sooooooooo boring! haha.

The weekend continued in basically the same way - relaxing, lazy days and festival by night.  We went to a couple of really cool place for drinks/dinner beforehand to watch the beautiful sunset over the Indian Ocean. Got some amazing pictures! Was a great weekend, but I know I could go back to Stonetown and have a much more educational time learning about the interesting slavery history etc.

On the Sunday evening we left to go to the beach - a village called Nungwi. We ended up moving places the second night, but either way we were 3 minutes walk max from the beach - beautiful white sands, and bright blue sea.  There were quite a few bigger European resorts further along but the village itself was quite small and had a great local feel to it.  Again, the days weren't full of activities - we basically hung out at the same local pub right on the sand the whole time, and went out for a nice dinner to a fancier restaurant one evening (more delicious prawns and fish!)  I, along with 2 others left on the Tuesday, while the other girls went off snorkelling etc for the day.  Was completely my choice to leave the day earlier - I regretted it slightly, but at the same time I think 5 days away was enough considering I'd had less in Arusha by that stage.

So after arriving back on Tuesday night, I've been back to NOCET each morning, which is still really enjoyable.  I've stayed there for lunch a couple of days too. I think Sandy and the others feel guilty to do so since they live so minimally, but I find it's a really good time to bond with the staff and build up relationships with them to get to know a bit more about the background of the place...  As well as the teacher there's a matron that lives there who doesn't really speak any English, but her daughter, granddaughter and neice (all between 16 & 23) have been there every day helping too and they're all beautiful and kind, and make me feel very loved!  They actually invited me to their church service yesterday, which I didn't end up going to for being a bit lazy (and waking up with a stuffy nose), but I'm going to try to go next week for the experience! They all walk around humming gospel music so I think it will be quite the experience!

I've also been out a couple of nights to different nightclubs. Nice for a bit of a Western escape, and we also went to a little French cafe yesterday for lunch.  As much as I love to immerse myself in all the local stuff (like eating a whole meal with my fingers), it's a bit of a comfort to have these treats occassionally!

I've been hoping to upload some photos, I have heaps to share! But I think I must have packed the wrong cord for my camera, so I'll see if I can borrow one off someone else.

Anyway, missing you all! I hope everything is great with you all, I think of home and everything that must be going on so often! But I am having a really great time, and am already thinking it will be really difficult to leave here in a month's time.

 

Comments

1

Hey Bonnie,

I am really enjoying your blog - its fantastic hearing all about your adventures and the cool things you are doing.

Looking forward to some photos whenever you get the chance.

Lots of love.

Lucy Dee

  Lucy dee Feb 19, 2012 9:14 PM

About bonniedawson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.