Existing Member?

Extraordinary Travelers

Catching a Moment - A Hidden Paradise (Sempu Island)

INDONESIA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [370] | Scholarship Entry

My first challenging adventure was going to Sempu Island in Malang, East Java-Indonesia with my college friends in January, 2013. Sempu is a hidden island that is rarely known by people. We started to go there at 7 a.m by a car and three motorcycles. We arrived in Sendang Biru beach at 10 a.m. After that we had to cross the sea by boats for fifteen minutes. Then, we arrived in Segara Anakan, a woods before we got in Sempu. The adventure was started here. We had to walk through the woods for about two hours. When it came to the rainy season, the track we passed were so difficult and dangereous. We could get trapped in the mud. We had to be aware because there were many foot steps that could decieve us to get lost. We took a rest for many times along the way. There were many big falling trees that we could use to take a rest. We were hopeless in the middle of the way to get there. Some of my girlfriends had fallen down in the slippery road. We wanted to give up at first, but when we’re taking a rest, we listened the flowing water from somewhere. We had been so close to Sempu. We’re so happy and we didn’t think about giving up anymore, we walked and walked and Yeay, we arrived in Sempu. We couldn’t stop smiling. It’s green water and white sand that surrounded by high edges. The edges borderes Sempu Island and Hindia ocean. Our long challenging adventure paid off by the beautiful scenery served. We couldn’t stand ourselves to swim through the sea. After that we had luch together in the beach. We enjoyed our meal in the nature. At night, we made a camp fire. We’re making around to burn some corns and to get warm. The night became darker and darker, we came back to the tents and took a sleep. We woke up earlier to watch the beautiful sunrise from the edges of the beach. Unfortunately, the day was cloudy that we could not see the sunrise. So we just watched the vast expanse of the ocean. After that, we didn’t want to miss the moment of swimming through the sea. Without thinking any longer, we swam into the sea. While swimming, my friends realized that our tents were attacking by wild monkeys from the woods. Unfortunately, they successfully stole some of our foods. Surprisingly, it had been 10 a.m. which meant we had to go back to Sendang Biru beach. We felt so sad to leave that fascinating island. Nature had learnt us many things. I feel no doubt to be back to Sempul Island again, one day. It was an unforgettable moment that my friends and I had ever created.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About bolangdiaries

Finally, Sempu!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.