Existing Member?

Rightward and Leftward I Go

Final Update (a little late, yes)

NEPAL | Friday, 20 March 2009 | Views [581]

Tuesday 11/11

All in all, a good day. We started the day in Child Club playing GaGa (renamed tarkari bare, vegetable garden), which the children enjoyed, and then had the children read what they had “researched” about their births. Not all the children had exactly properly done this, but from what I could understand it was interesting nonetheless. We then had a good yoga session, ate, and went off to another organic pesticide demonstration. While again not all the women were completely prepared, this women's group was great to work with – they all eagerly helped with the demonstration, those that were well prepared had brought a lot of the needed plants, and they showered us with khaja, snacks. After the first demonstration we were given radishes, a big plate of popped corn and soybeans, very tasty buffalo milk, and buffalo whey (sort of liquid yogurt). Two other women later offered us khaja but we had no time as we needed to head towards Kshamawati school. At the school I worked mostly on the wheat experiment plot, coordinating seeding wheat.

Wednesday 11/12

A crazy day. We needed to leave today because our mid-program group trip to Gorkha begins tomorrow. We all packed up and got ready for the bus which usually comes around 8 AM but didn't come until 9. As the bus was older and in bad shape, the ride was especially uncomfortable today. Then, after about four hours, the bus pulled to a halt by the river at Suketa, where we had been stuck for hours in a bhanda (strike) a few weeks before. This time the bhanda was being held by the family of someone who had died in a motorcycle accident the week before and in the process had had a lot of money stolen. We are beginning to realize that the bhandas are sort of the Nepali version of lawsuits. In the absence of a legal or criminal justice system where these kinds of problems could be properly dealt with, people feel like the only way to cause the powers that be to act is by halting traffic or commerce.

I was treated to a glimpse of the Nepali mentality when, asked how long we might be halted, someone replied, 'Oh, not too long, only about two hours.' Either way, I was happy for a break from an unpleasant bus ride and a swim in the river. While swimming in the river, the nine of us had already attracted quite a crowd of stranded Nepalis interested in what the foreigners were doing. We then proceeded to attract even more attention by performing – a number of times, until we got it right – Elvis Presley's “Falling for You,”in front of a camera, to be sent as a present to Galias new nephew Elvis. Yet after this the bhanda started to get tedious. Around 4 PM we heard that the road would not be opening today and the bus was going to drive back to another town for dinner and to wait the night until the road opened. We decided instead to take all our bags and walk the 6 km until the end of the bhanda (the road was blocked at two points). After about an hour and a half we were tired out from the walk and not yet near the end, but to our luck the road did open and we were picked up by a bus. Yet as if this wasn't enough, five minutes later our bus hit into another bus, breaking its windshield. Luckily no one was hurt and we continued the rest of the way with a broken windshield. We were happy when we finally arrived home in Kathmandu.

Thursday 11/13

Despite arriving home late the night before, the group left for Gorkha at 6 AM. At 9:30 we arrived at a beautiful river side where we ate breakfast, hung out, and swam. This was followed by a talk by Leora about the 20th century French-Jewish philosopher Levinas and his focus on ethics being based on the encounter with 'the other.' For a tactile experience of this idea, we followed the talk by pairing up and drawing representational portraits of each other. We had a great lunch at a little roadside vegetarian restaurant, followed by more relaxing by the river. For the rest of the ride uphill to the town of Gorkha Bazaar, the entire group packed up on the top of a public bus and was treated to a beautiful view of hills, valleys, mountains, and rivers.

Friday 11/14

We had arrived yesterday after dark, so when we woke up to see the landscape for the first time we were amazed. Gorkha Bazaar sits above a number of hills and valleys, and in the morning all the valleys were full of fog. Our wonder was matched when, walking up a hill, we were treated to a large view of Mt.Ganesh, which seemed to be floating in the sky, next to a few other mountains. On the hill we played some interesting theater games with our counselor Yotam and then continued up to the top fo the hill, where there is a palace and temple. The palace is of historical significance because Pirthivi Shah, the king of Gorkha, who lived in the palace, conquered the rest of Nepal and thus was the first king of Nepal.

Seeing Gorkha, the home of Nepal's first ruling dynasty, was very interesting to me because there is no capital city to speak of. Gorkha Bazaar is a small town and the rest of the district is made up of villages. I had expected the home of the first dyansty to be a major city. Instead, it was a well-established village kingdom. Of course, this befits Nepal, a country that, while experiencing rapid urbanization, remains overwhelmingly rural.

Shabbat 11/15 to Saturday 11/16

Shabbat started with a nice group Kabbalat Shabbat service and a good meal. During the day most of the group left on a walk towards a river, while I and two others stayed in the hotel to rest, read, and eat. Yet in the afternoon we too went for a short walk in the area and, after following the sound of music, soon found ourselves at a lively vegetarian picnic, where a number of local women coaxed us to dance (which greatly entertained them), showered us with tikka (the red powder placed on the forehead, in this context as a sign of respect), and fed us dhal bhaat. A number of women from this group walked with us back to our hotel. We were really happy from this experience, a real expression of the hospitality and friendliness of Nepalis.

After Shabbat the group began a number of activities meant to inspire some soul-searching now that we have passed the midpoint of the program. In the first activity we all had a chance to write anonymously to each of the group members behaviors that we would encourage her to start and those that we would like her to continue.

Sunday 11/17

The soul-searching activities continued – first we all had a chance to write and share a personal and a project-oriented goal for the rest of the time, and then each project group sat with another group to discuss our projects and share ideas. All of these activities felt very helpful though it made me sad to realize how little time is left in the program.

Monday 11/18

A somewhat crazy beginning of the day. All the village volunteers left in the morning for the department of immigration to renew our visas. On the way, the group's two dogs started walking with us, and instead of bringing them back in the yard as we normally do, we let them keep walking, as they had been outside before and returned home alone. Yet on the way a micro-bus ran over our dog Kalu and after a frantic minute he was dead. Mysteriously, a man with a sack quickly came and took the dead dog away and we were left with only our shock.

When we arrived at the department of immigration, we were greeted by a man who first told us that we would need 12,000 Rs (about $150) to renew our visas, and then, after telling us he would show us where we could find an ATM to take out all that money, escorted us to a number of waiting taxi drivers who wanted to drive us (for a high price) the “half hour walk” to the nearest ATM. We refused this “offer” and proceeded to find an ATM within a five minute walk. However, this ATM was broken, and the next ATM, five minutes away, was also broken. We waited for it to be fixed and took out money, only to return to the office and find out that we didn't really need it, since the actual clerks (and not the con artist at the door) asked us for much less money. Yet even the official bureacracy involved waiting on line and then being told to return to pick up the visa two hours later.

Tuesday 11/19

We had a mostly pleasant ride on the 6AM bus, arriving around 1 PM despite 45 minutes stopped for repairs. Especially as a few of us were a bit sick, when we arrived we all noticed how much colder it had gotten over the weekend (it's still warm when the sun is out, but never hot). The afternoon was spent resting, talking, and watching the movie Hancock on my computer. Watching the movie reminded me of how different Western cities like Los Angeles are from what I have gotten used to in Suspa and Kathmandu. I am due for culture shock when I return to the US.

Today was the first day of a nightly literacy and accounting training for all members of the local ETC-organized womens' groups, including our host mother Subarna Laxmi, which will run for the next few months. In an efficient use of manpower, ETC asked each of the womens groups in the area to nominate one more literate group member or friend to attend its teacher training course and then lead this training. As almost all of the village women (and many of the men) are illiterate, they are very excited for this training. While it may greatly empower them, it is unclear how much it will lead them to start reading for pleasure. The Thami ethnic group of which most villagers are members has a strictly oral culture and religion in which literacy was never a part and is not at all necessary. It is the women, who attended school less and thus spent more time with their parents instead of being integrated into the literate Nepali culture, who have more maintained Thami culture and language. The switch to a literacy-based culture will not come easy. However, their daughters, who almost all attend school with the boys, may end up as poorer bearers of Thami culture.

Wednesday 11/20

We had a fun child club meeting, including some interesting responses to the weekend's research assignment of how things had changed in the village over recent decades. We learned that: the road (and with it access to buses and ambulances; before people would walk at least an hour to town) came only twelve years ago; electricity came sometime in the last decade (before only those with enough money for kerosene lamps had light after dark); widespread literacy and school attendance are very new (the children of the village are the first generation widely attending school and learning to read); growing a lot of vegetables is recent (before this people grew almost only starches – rice, millet, wheat, and potatoes). After this reading the children drew portraits of each other which were very good.

Because I was feeling a bit sick, I stopped on the way uphill to work and rested for a while at a beautiful spot in the sunlight before returning home to rest the rest of the day. By the evening I was feeling better.

Thursday 11/21

Another fun child club. Children read their assignent of what they liked in the village, a number mentioning the natural beauty and the earth; later they worked on a map of the village. After breakfast we started walking high up to the Lamanagi village. Our organic pesticide preparation was cut short and the remainder rescheduled as no member of the local womens' group had the necessary plastic sheeting. This was just our luck, as we were able to observe the day-long festivities at the Lamanagi school called in honor a recently-deceased Japanese donor. We watched some very well-done dances prepared by children from all over the area and a few of us added our own dance performance. The day concluded with more work with the agriculture class in the Kshamawati school garden, where we preapred a bed and seeded vegetables.

Friday 11/22

We spent most of the day preparing a great Shabbat meal including a special dessert for Itamar's birthday, village-style Tiramisu.

Shabbat Friday night and Saturday 11/23

A great meal. Last Sunday we built a mud oven and, with the help of yeast purchased in Kathmandu, tonight we tasted its first success (after a previous failed attempt), tasty challah bread.

With the change of the weather most of the group was sick for some part of this week, as well as the youngest and eldest daughters of our host family. During the week we observed the family's approach to illness. First, they consult with the village guru, a combination spiritual and natural healer, and if that doesn't help, they seek the help of Western medicine. It seems that the main work of the guru is to help people possessed of spirits of the dead. After he found no dead spirit in the youngest daughter, the family brought her to the local health post for care. When the eldest daughter had been ill for three days, the guru came Thursday night, checked her pulse and blood pressure, announced that she was possessed by a dead person (who was eating out of her body), and performed a ritual with incense and water to rid her of the dead person. The family told us that if she was still feeling sick the next day, they would take her to the hospital. But by the next day she was better, so they assumed the guru's treatment worked and the hospital was unnecessary.

-----------------------

Sunday 11/24 to Wednesday 11/26

This week we had more successful work with the child club, building organic pesticide, and in the Kshamawati school in the afternoon. I remember a conversation I had with the school principal about how the school disposes of plastic wrappers, a major issue in the village. Since the local road was built about eight years ago, local stores sell many goods wrapped in plastic – mostly junk food such as noodle soup mixes, snacks, and candy bars, but also oil and salt – but there is no systematic collection of these wrappers, nor do people show much awareness of the need to collect them. Plastic wrappers litter the fields and paths of the village, and as they do not decompose, they end up in the ground harming the soil. Stores and families dispose of the plastic wrappers lying around their areas by burning them, which pollutes the air with harmful chemicals. I asked Makunda Sir, the Kshamawati school principal, how the school disposes of the plastic wrappers on its grounds, and he explained to me that it burns the wrappers, as they pose a major threat to the soil, and while burning them harms the air, the air is so clear here that it is not currently a big problem. Burying the wrappers, he explained, would be too difficult. Yet he also suggested that in the future as the air got worse burning the wrappers would become more problematic and they would need to come up with another solution. Similar problems occur in Kathmandu – while some garbage is placed in landfill, much is dumped in the polluted Bagmati river or burned. Yet given how polluting landfills are, I don't see collection and landfilling as the solution to the problem of what to do with plastic waste. In my opinion, it is a problem with no solution; plastic wrappers do not decompose and cannot be recycled. Seeing them lying around in Suspa, where I cannot put them out of my sight, has instilled in me the view that we need to stop producing them.

It is interesting the note how much this is a problem borne of the integration with the national economy brought by the creation of the road eight years ago – before the road, plastic wrapped items were inaccessible. It is a good example of how integration with a wider economy involves losing some control such that the economy may become less sensitive to local needs and concerns; our host mother Subarna Laxmi has said that she is frustrated about the plastic wrappers which pollute her fields and would like products to no longer be sold in plastic wrappers but because she doesn't know the heads of the companies she can't tell them. This problem is also linked with examples of other problems coming from economic integration – most of the food sold in plastic wrappers is unhealthy junk food and its purchase provides little to no benefit to the local economy (even the shopkeepers, who are already from high castes and relatively well off, are prevented from taking a profit by a government-set maximum retail price).

A recent newspaper article stated that the local district of Dolakha plans, among other 'eco-friendly steps,' to discourage the purchase of items wrapped in plastic, but I am pessimistic about the success of such a limited step. Instead, I am encouraged by hearing about the initiative of the Indian region of Ladakh to outlaw plastic wrappers. According to our group member Barak, who visited Ladakh, items are instead wrapped in paper or locally made materials. In addition to mitigating the pollution of plastic wrappers, this law may also be encouraging the local economy in that it supports the manufacture of locally made materials and outlaws goods from outside which have not been made with sensitivity to local concerns. Another option could be a national law requiring manufacturers to take responsibility for any non-compostable waste coming from their products. This kind of system works with soda bottles in Nepal and India – after the soda is consumed, the bottle is returned and refilled to be sold again. This option may be less helpful in addressing the social issues involved.

Thursday 11/27 to Sunday 11/30

After a pleasant bus ride we returned to Kathmandu for a group-led seminar without the staff. The seminar included a creative/introspective writing workshop, challah bread making, a voice workshop, and two social activities, as well as a discussion led by the volunteers in Suspa about the idea and practice of “development” in the context of articles we read and our experience here. The discussion touched on many of the problematic aspects of development, especially our discomfort with bringing the less-industrialized world into a Western lifestyle which is deeply problematic and impossible, not to mention unsustainable, in terms of resource use. We argued for some time over whether our work in Suspa is in fact leading to a different, better end or whether despite all our concerns and efforts it is leading to the same problematic and impossible point. We were provided further food for thought on this issue Sunday night when the group watched the film Ancient Futures: Learning from Ladakh about the remote Indian region of Ladakh (presented by Barak, who bought the film while visiting Ladakh). The film shows how for hundreds of years Ladakhis have thrived healthfully in harsh ecological conditions and maintained a rich culture and strong community and family ties, yet in recent years integration with the Indian and global economies has in many ways threatened and harmed all of this, especially in the capital of Leh. For example, the entry of cheap imported grain has put local farmers out of business and made people vulnerable to faraway price fluctuations; people studying in school or working as migrant laborers has left women alone to work in the home and fields and disentangled people's willingness to help each other. The film provided a firmer expression to many things I see in Suspa but also instilled in me the importance of making sure Suspa changes in the right ways and not the wrong ways. As opposed to Ladakh, which seemingly lived in harmony until very recently, Suspa's problems began about two hundred years ago with the arrival of Brahmins who attained control over the majority of the land. Since then Suspa's previous residents – mostly the Thami ethnic group – have not been self-sufficient on their land and have needed to purchase food from outside. Our work is thus not breaking harmony but trying to fix a situation that has been broken for a long time.

Another interesting point in this weekend was the visit of an Israeli trekking group to our house. When I heard that their visit with us was the only part of their trip not dedicated to trekking, I was shocked. I think my time here as a foreigner actually living among Nepalis has changed my view of tourism; I don't think I could ever travel again without spending a lot of the trip learning how local people live.

Monday December 1 to Thursday December 4

The week began in a rather unusual way. On Saturday, two buses driving through the area were racing each other when one sped off the road in the village of Damarang in Suspa (a fifteen minute walk from where we live) and fell downhill about fifty meters. Of the three people killed and many injured, a large number were from the area, and in response the local residents closed the road by placing trees across it at a number of places, with the demand that the bus companies stop scheduling buses at the same time. Because of the strike, our bus from Kathmandu stopped at the town of Dolakha and we had to walk with our bags an hour to our house. In the course of the week, a car attempting to cross the roadblock was vandalized by Suspa residents, leading to the arrest of four locals. When a number of people went to speak to the police, another four were arrested. Yet by Thursday afternoon the strike ended after all eight were freed and the bus companies agreed to modify the bus schedules.

For every Shabbat (Friday night and Saturday) we prepare food for ourselves. Up to now we had sent someone to purchase vegetables in the town of Chericot, but because of the strike this was impossible. Instead we tried to buy vegetables from local women and it proved a big success – fresher and cheaper, not to mention easier, than going to Chericot.

On Thursday many of the other Tevel b'Tzedek participants came up for the weekend. We were very happy to have them visit us and had a fun time. On Shabbat afternoon we walked up to the Kshamawati school and continued past the school a bit to a beautiful meadowy area. It was a very different experience for everyone than when the group had been here in the beginnning of the program, as now everyone has strong Nepali and can actually converse with the locals. We were also able to continue the discussion raised by our class on development and the movie about Ladakh with our friends who were able to draw from their observations here and in their own volunteering projects.

The following Monday night was very special. Our group was invited to dinner by the local shopkeeper. We ate a local delicacy, corn dirro (polenta-esque mush) with sisnu (a prickly bush that we use in the organic pesticide and which is very tasty when cooked with water and a little seasoning). We enjoyed dinner and got to learn a bit about the store. The shopkeeper is a Brahmin with a house and agricultural land in a nearby village. He rents the shop's building from an older woman of the dominant Thami ethnic group. So despite being a Brahmin he is on reverse terms from the Thamis who work in Brahmin fields; in addition, Thamis such as our host family seem to like him, referring to him as a “good Brahmin who doesn't only look out for himself.” We also discovered that the shop houses some local government office and the central television cable room for a few villages.

The rest of the week continued as usual, with the organic pesticide team really hitting our stride. In addition to preparing the pesticide with a women's group, we were looking into women's gardens and giving advice on dealing with bugs and fungus, impressing the women with the few words we had learned of their own Thami language, and being treated after our work to khaja (snack) and tea, fresh buffalo milk, or locally brewed alcoholic drinks.

About bokserb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.