Existing Member?

Rightward and Leftward I Go

Update 2 - life in Suspa

NEPAL | Thursday, 6 November 2008 | Views [1239] | Comments [1]

Hello all! It's been a while since my last update (http://journals.worldnomads.com/bokserb/). Since then I have experienced an interesting educational tour of the grounds of a Hindu temple, the Dashein festival in Kathmandu, and a meanignful Yom Kippur at the Chabad Jewish center in Kathmandu. I have also studied and learned a lot. I was unable to write in much detail about these things, though I have attached some pictures from this time. However, I have written in detail about the time starting with the Jewish holiday of Sukkot. Enjoy the following...


On the Jewish holiday of Sukkot we build temporary huts covered with organic matter and pray with four species of plants (myrtle, willow, palm branches and citron fruit). The holiday comes at the time of the fall harvest and these two activities serve to counter the potential haughtiness that could come from a good crop. At this time when it is easy to become proud and self-absorbed in our accomplishments we go outside of the civilized trappings of our homes to a house that is clearly built from nature and that is dependent on the gracious protection of God. We show that we are too a part of nature and that all that has come to us has come from God. We pray with the four species to show that we, like the four species, are dependent on water to survive. While these two activities are meant to be humbling, they are also meant to inspire a happy gratitude.

This year I fulfilled the ideas of Sukkot in an additional manner. On the second day of Sukkot, after celebrating the first day in a beautiful Sukkah in our group's house in Kathmandu, I and seven other volunteers (and two staff) in the Tevel b'Tzedek program traveled to the village of Suspa to begin volunteering there. As was appropriate for the holiday, we were leaving the more civilized trappings of Kathmandu (and Israel and America before that) for a village of simpler lifestyles whose residents live more directly off their own land. Here we live with people who seem to have the humble and grateful happiness which is the point of Sukkot. See below for a day-by-day description.


Wednesday 10/15

We leave our house in Kathmandu at 5:30AM to try to make the 6:30 bus. When we arrive at the “bus park” we realize that our Nepali staff member Bishnu can only make the 7:30 bus so we have some time to wait at the bus park. While waiting the group sits for tea and I recite my morning prayers in front of the tea shop. As it is Sukkot, my prayers include waving the traditional four species (willow, myrtle, palm, and citron) in additon to wearing Tefillin (phylacteries), leather straps and boxes worn on the arm and head every morning. I was aware that what I was doing was very foreign to the many people around and noticed many stares. Yet as this is Nepal I could simply explain “Mero Puja” - my worship – and they would somewhat understand.

After a little while on the bus we reached a point where we would stop for ten minutes, move another little bit, and then stop for another ten minutes. After a while of this the bus stopped for good and everyone got out – we realized we had reached a bhanda – a strike – and there would be no movement for some time. Bishnu told us that the strike was done by the family of someone who had recently been wounded in a bus accident and wanted the bus company to pay for treatment (in Nepal there is almost no health insurance and the family could not pay). Along with the stream of people who had been freed from their cramped buses for a little bit I saw the center of the strike; at two places trees had been placed in the middle of the road and what seemed like the family was in the middle. As it was hot and we were lucky the strike was alongside a river, so I and some friends jumped in for a short swim. Soon after, though, we were called back with the message that the bus was about to leave. The bus filled up and we nervously tried to call our entire group – and then it turned out that the bus still could not leave for about twenty minutes.

We arrived near dark to Suspa and the house where five of us rent rooms and another three often stay. After a long day of travel we were very happy to eat the homemade dhal bhaat that the woman of the house gave us. Dhal Bhaat is the basic meal in Nepal and consists of dhal, a lentil stew, bhaat, rice, and tarkari, a cooked vegetable dish. Yet the name is misleading because in many parts of Nepal dhal is not grown locally and is thus not often eaten and rice can be expensive. Other possible elements include diro, a thick porridge/polenta made of millet or corn flour, and achar, a cold (and spicy or sour) vegetable dish. We eat dhal bhaat with our hands in the village after mixing the diro or rice with any of the other more liquidy elements. The dhal bhaat we eat in the village is an alternative eater's dream – almost fully organic, local, and macrobiotic. While dhal and much of the rice we eat is bought from a store (the family's rice crop is enough for only 3-6 months), the rest of the food comes from the family's garden right by the house or from local wild plants. Vegetables to be eaten are picked right before each meal. Thus the food is obviously local and macrobiotic (seasonal), and as the family uses no pesticides and a very small amount of chemical fertilizer (in addition to compost), it is pretty darn organic. To my benefit as well, the food is also vegetarian and thus (to my standards at least) kosher (the family eats meat about once every few months on festivals, and uses different dishes for preparing meat). We have come to love the fresh and tasty dhal bhaat we eat in the village and fill our stomachs at every meal – which is just morning and evening here in Nepal (a small snack is eaten in the afternoon). Of course, it is only fitting that dhal bhaat be such an important part of our day. My work with village agriculture is focused on helping the village women raise vegetables in the gardens near their houses. We spend all of our day learning, thinking, and helping raise vegetables. We have learned a lot about the vegetables raised locally and how to care for them. So eating those vegetables is the crowning achievement of our work.

Thursday 10/16

After dhal bhaat we built a Sukkah with the help of the man of the house, Pirthivi. He is a jack-of-all-trades who works on carpentry and electrical projects throughout the village, so he was very resourceful in helping us make the Sukkah; it was finished pretty quickly. Building the Sukkah also seemed to come pretty natural to him since many things in the village are made of local organic materials. For the rest of the week I ate my dhal bhaat in the Sukkah; At every meal I would come up to the top floor, where the family eats, cooks, sleeps, etc. in one big room, and be given a heaping plate of food (so as not to have to come back too many times for a refill), which I would take down and eat in the Sukkah.

The rest of the day was not too eventful; some people went to town to buy food, the group members who are teaching in the local schools went to visit one of the schools, and we reviewed material about gardening.

Friday 10/17

Either today or yesterday we began doing Yoga in the mornings. Irit, a member of the agriculture team, is very experienced in Yoga and also an experienced teacher. So she leads us every day – mostly at 6:30AM – in a Yoga class that has been great for my body. I do my morning prayers before Yoga, waking up around 5:30, which is fine since we go to sleep around 9PM here.

In the morning I helped the “education team” move their stuff up to a house they live in during the week which is closer to the schools. We walked through a beautiful forested area. When I returned to our house I helped cook for Shabbat.

Shabbat 10/17 evening to 10/18 day

As a group we did evening services and dinner in the Sukkah. While it was cold, both went well and dinner was great. The Sukkah was lit by flashlights which we hung from the roof of the Sukkah. On the next morning some people went to a nearby town for the day. I stayed and participated in Yoga, a great meal, and a group reading of the book of Kohelet (Ecclesiastes), traditionally read in synagouges today.

Sunday 10/19

We started work for real. In the morning we (the agriculture team) worked in the demonstration vegetable garden of ETC (the NGO whose work we are joining here). We prepared a tomato nursery and garden under a greenhouse. I learned more about the work of gardening. In the afternoon we did some “kitchen garden monitoring” with the ETC staff and visited a garden with a great tomato greenhouse.

Monday 10/20

We ate dhal bhaat early and rushed to get to an 8:15 AM bus to a nearby village in the area. As is often necessary in Nepal, I sat on the top of the bus, which is always somewhat exhilirating while scary and uncomfortable. When we got off the bus we met an ETC staff member and walked for about 20 minutes straight up to the village. ETC runs its village activities through women's groups composed of about 20 women who live near each other. We had come to see such a women's group meeting. It was run (by the ETC staff member) in Nepali, so we couldn't really understand anything, but we were able to notice each woman donating dues to a group microfinance fund, some women requesting loans and then receiving them after everyone else agreed, and the staff member recording everything in the group's records book. What seemed great was that the staff member was only facilitating but the women were really in charge. After the meeting we did some more garden monitoring.

Tuesday 10/21

We did some more kitchen garden monitoring with ETC staff. In the afternoon we prepared some food for the Jewish holiday of Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah.

Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah Tuesday night to Wednesday 10/22

We began with prayers and the traditional singing and dancing done on the holiday. It was smaller and shorter than the singing and dancing I usually do in a bigger Jewish community but felt very special nonetheless, as this is a group I feel very close to at this point. We ate with our host family but did the special prayers over wine and bread before eating. After eating we invited the parents to have some roxi (a local alcoholic drink) with us, which they did. Yet right after they offered us their own homemade roxi and jar, another local drink made of corn meal. It felt very much in the spirit of the holiday. In the morning I prayed alone in a beatiful spot near the house, we did Yoga, and then went downhill to the rice paddies, which are all being cut now. It was a beatiful sight and fun as well – all the children go with their parents down to cut rice. Afer a fun hike up the river from the rice fields we read from the day's Torah reading.

Thursday 10/22

A full day of work at the ETC garden. The day was dedicated to preparing an organic pesticide based on cow urine and leaves of strong-smelling plants. We cut up the plants and filled them in a burlap sack. We then dug a pit, put the sack in the pit, and filled the pit with diluted cow urine. The liquid will take in the scents and ingredients of the plants and after a few weeks will be a powerful yet safe pesticide.

Friday 10/23

We did some more work in the ETC garden – weeding and turning soil. In the afternoon I prepared food for Shabbat and showered in the river.

Shabbat Friday night and Saturday 10/24

We started with communal evening prayers joined by many of the local children. Though they don't know Hebrew at all, they were very excited to sing and clap along. Many also grabbed prayer books and pretended to follow the words. Afterwards we ate dinner joined by the rest of the host family; the parents enjoyed our food which made us very proud. In the morning there was Yoga, lunch, and reading of the Torah portion. In the evening Irit led a very throughtful discussion about our impressions of the village and how exactly we see ourselves affecting it.

Sunday 10/25

Me and the two other “junior members” of the agriculture team, Itamar and Gili, went for some more kitchen garden monitoring with an ETC staff member. Yet we spent more time enjoying the scenery and running into the staff member's friends than doing real monitoring.

Monday 10/26

We went to visit Makunda, the principal of one of the local schools, to speak about working on agriculture in the school. Makunda is a Brahmin and he lives uphill in a neighborhood markedly different from that of the poorer Thami ethnic group where we live. The houses have ornately carved windows, beautiful flowers and other plants, and very well-kept vegetable gardens. We were served home-grown tea in ceramic cups (as opposed to the metal cups used by almost everyone in Nepal). Makunda showed us around the school's large grounds and we saw how much area there is for agricultural projects in the school. We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with the “education team” at their house nearby.

This week is the festival of Tihar, and today was the day of the dog puja (offering/worship). At Makunda's house we noticed a dog with a garland around his neck. He had been fed puja by Makunda's family and presumably many others.

Tuesday 10/27

The Nepali (Hindu, yet observed also by the Thami ethnic group in the village and many others) festival of Tihar went into full swing starting in the morning with the cow puja. The family we stay with offered ceremonial food to their cows, dabbed their foreheads with tikka (a colorful ceremonial paste including red rice), and put garlands on their necks. Then the family (and some of us) received tikka and food as well. While the cows were happy to have the sweet ceremonial food, they were not fully cooperative in recieveing the tikka and garlands, yet the family persisted. The mother of the house explained that the cows do not understand what is going on, but this did not seem to deter her. While some might look down on this custom, I appreciated the idea of expressing gratitude to different things that we depend on – such as cows, which provide Nepalis with milk and manure – even if those things cannot understand.

In the evening we were served a lot of raxi for the holiday so that we were ready to fully enjoy the performance of the child club at 9:30 (which is after our bedtime). About fifteen kids of assorted ages were going around the village performing dances accompanied by music and singing. After a number of impressive dances, they opened into a simpler song with a chorus repeated every line. We soon learned that this was the song where they ask for donations – and, for a foreign group such as us, expect a lot and keep singing until they are satisfied or worn out. After one of those happened (not sure which), they invited us to dance with them, which we did. It was a fun “late night” that lasted until 10:30PM.

Wednesday 10/28

After morning dhal bhaat the celebration continued with the preparation of sel, a brown simple doughnut. The mother of the house (with a little of my help) prepared a lot, and we ate a lot. Afterwards we went uphill to where people had constructed swings – one standard back-and-forth swing, and another four-seat merry-go-round-style swing. All were built by hand of local material (wood and rope). Four of us went on the merry-go-round swing and it was very fun, though we felt we were straining its capacity and got off quickly. After this we returned to the house for a very interesting discussion led by participants Barak and Galia about the Thami ethnic group that makes up the majority of the village region. Their culture is very interesting – e.g. property and clan names are handed down through female and male lines as girls inherit from their mother and boys from their father – yet many aspects of their socioeconomic status are depressing.

Dinner was a special meal. It is customary to eat buffalo meat on Thursday, but because we were going to leave on Thursday the family cooked meat instead on Wednesday, but using separate dishes and a separate fire out of respect for those of us who keep Kosher. The first course was a plate of sel, coconut, a fried hard boiled egg, and rock candy, and a bowl of meat for those who eat non-kosher meat. Afterwards we ate a special dhal bhaat including dhal (lentil stew, rare in this house) and a peanut and potato vegetable curry. After dinner there were again visits by roving groups singing and dancing, yet this time the groups were made up of somewhat tipsy adults, which made for a different experience.

Thursday 10/29

Before leaving for Kathmandu we were presented flower garland necklaces as a holiday going-away present. Yet it took a while for a bus to come and the bus only went partway, to the town of Chericot. There were no buses going to Kathmandu in the morning, so we had to wait unsure of how we would arrive until a bus finally took as at 1PM.

Friday 10/30

We were back in Kathmandu with the rest of the Tevel b'Tzedek group for “Seminar Nepal.” For the first segment, we were split up into different groups researching different sectors of Nepali society – Tibetan refugees, the Newari ethnic group, Muslims in Nepal, and the Young Communist League (associated with the Maoist movement which has succeeded in overthrowing the monarchy and winning parliamentary elections held this year). My group researched Tibetan refugees. We had an interesting time including a visit to a Tibetan monastery and a “refugee camp” made up of the houses across from our group's house. The afternoon was spent cooking for Shabbat.

Shabbat Friday and Saturday 10/31

After a great Friday night meal I went straight to sleep to wake up for the group's 5:30AM walk uphill to the nearby Swayambhou temple. We saw a beautiful sunrise from the top and observed the large number of people jogging and/or worshippping at this early hour. Afterwards I did Yoga, which made for a very focused morning prayer following. At 10AM we had an interesting speech by Shanti, a parliament member from the United Marxist Leninist party (which is less radical than the Maoists) about human and womens' rights, a field she has worked in. After lunch we all presented our research from Friday morning and then Yotam, a staff member who also works at the Israeli embassy, talked about the complicated situation of Nepali foreign workers in Israel. After Shabbat there was a very impressive talent show.

Sunday 11/2

“Seminar Nepal” finished up with a speech by a top secretary of the Maoist party. In short, he said that Nepal suffers from structural oppression (of the poor, women, and ethnicities) domestically and external interference and that the ruling Maoist party hopes to address these issues through renegotiating treaties with India, land reform, a strong constitution, and development. It was interesting to see him describe Nepali history from a different angle – that of exploitation – than others have. Also of note was his emphasis that the Maoist party sees previous communist states as mistaken in their lack of respect for human rights and political competition.

I followed that speech with a visit to Zandon Ukyab, the husband of a colleague of my mother's in the New York West Side Montessori school. Mr. Ukyab warmly welcomed me and talked to me a little about his political views and experiences, which were very interesting to me. He spent many years involved in the government in the previous monarchial republic regime, including a role as consul to Tibet. Yet when the last king curtailed democracy in 2006, he switched his support to the Maoists and is currently active in consulting with the Maoist government. As with the previous speaker, this experience gave me the impression that the Maoist government is serious and thoughtful. With people like Mr. Ukyab providing advice, I am optimistic about the government's future.

Monday 11/3

We woke up very early to make a 6AM bus back to Suspa. The bus went very quickly and we were at Suspa by 1PM. We spent most of the afternoon helping in the rice fields. First we helped our host father's parents (who seemed very old) in the hard work of collecting and piling up their emptied rice stalks. The old woman worked harder than me. Part of me is saddened by the amount of work people here do even at an old age, yet part of me is impressed. Then we helped our host family collecting and piling rice stalks in the field they work.

Tuesday 11/4

At 6:30 was the first meeting of the child club which we are leading a few mornings a week. While it took a while for children to come, we had fun.

Today was election day in the US, but I didn't have much to do with it, especially since the election only started late in the day given the time difference. Today we worked a bit in the ETC garden and had a bunch of planning meetings. Our Nepali staff member Bishnu had a baby boy and we celebrated.

Wednesday 11/5

We left early for a day of lots of walking. Along with the ETC staff we walked throughout the village area to visit the leader farmer of seven womens' groups to set dates when we will come and teach how to prepare organic pesticide. Throughout the morning I tried to call my mom to find out the election results. When I finally found out that Obama won, I and some of the others in the group who were Obama supporters were very happy. The day was also happy because it was the birthday of our staff member Leora. At the end of the day we had a little celebration with her.

Thursday 11/6

I went to Chericot, a town near Suspa, to buy supplies for the group. We cook our own meals for Shabbat, and since there isn't much available at local stores, we buy food for Shabbat in Chericot. I just rode in on top of the bus and had a beautiful view of the Himalaya mountains - most of them fully snow-covered. Some seemed very big. The view of the mountains in the background of the high hills in the foreground is very special. While in Chericot I went to check my email but the internet was very slow and otherwise problematic, so I spent a lot of time staring at the screen and didn't finish all that I wanted to do online.

After I returned home we went to the ETC office to visit another foreigner who will be volunteering here, Tracy Tyson. Tracy, an experienced Montessori teacher from Ohio, will be here until June at least teaching in a local school with the goal of adapting Montessori teaching to Nepali resources and context and providing general teacher training. This seems like a very interesting project which fits with ETC's goal of improving on the overly frontal teaching here.

Friday 11/7

In the morning we finished visiting leader farmers to arrange organic pesticide training. Afterwards we returned home to bathe and cook for Shabbat. Tevel b'Tzedek has opened a new program for short-term volunteers, and this group arrived in the afternoon for a short visit. While I had met them before and they had seemed nice, it was difficult for me at first to see a large group of outsiders in the village as they seemed out of place and I felt like I had work to do in cooking for Shabbat. But after a little while I was able to adjust and be a good host happy to have more people see this wonderful village.

Shabbat Friday night and Saturday 11/8

We started Shabbat with the largest Kabbalat Shabbat services Suspa has surely ever seen. Our ten people, seventeen of the short-term volunteers and two staff, a number of ETC staff plus Tracy, and a few village children, packed into our communal room for a Kabbalat Shabbat that was spirited despite being limited to about five prayer books. Afterwards the ETC staff and Tracy stayed for dinner, which was followed by roxi and fun revelry – singing and dancing of Israeli and Nepali songs.

Shabbat day was pretty uneventful. Lunch was a picnic on a warm patch of grass with a great view.

Sunday 11/9

The day started with a fun (though a bit stressful) child club and Yoga. As it was a Nepali (Hindu) holiday, we did not work with the local women, but instead practiced preparing the pit and ingredients for the organic pesticide at our own house. We also built a mud oven for us to bake with for the rest of our time here. Many villagers, including the father of our house, walked three hours to a holiday service. He returned along with the other villagers in a parade of music and dance. Many women, including the mother of our house, fasted today. She broke her fast with the first local rice of the season, which we first ate in a ceremonial dish of uncooked rice, yogurt, and spices (very tasty) and then as part of dhal bhaat. The local rice is much tastier than the rice we've eaten here before, which is bought imported from India. There seem to be a number of possible reasons for this: it is a different species; it is processed and milled less intensively as e.g. the mill here is river-powered; rice from higher altitudes is better. Either way, this rice tastes better and, the mother of the house has told us, is more nutritous. For whatever reasons, the imported rice is presumably produced for price and quantity and not for quality, and the costs of such a focus are clear. Yet without such low-quality, mass-produced rice, this family might not have enough to eat for most of the year; their local rice will only last about a month.

Monday 11/10

After a short yoga and morning prayers, we went to the child club, where today we handed out notebooks for the children to research family history and the like. We had them decorate their notebook covers, which they enjoyed a lot, and then gave them a first research question – to find out about the day they were born. After dhal bhaat I, Itamar, and Gili (two others in the agriculture team) set out for our first day of teaching village women how to prepare organic pesticide. While there were a number of complications – the women didn't come to the arranged meeting spot so we had to find them at one of their houses, and they didn't have the exact required materials – it went well and we had fun. By the way, the organic pesticide is a solution of (e.g. cow) urine, water, and strong smelling plants. Our teaching involves building a pit lined with plastic sheeting for the solution to sit on, making sure the appropriate plants are there, cutting the plants and putting them in a sack, and explaining the rest of the preparation of the solution and its use. This is a task that is very much needed, as the women's plants suffer from pests and fungi but the women don't exactly know how to prepare the solution, while easy enough for us to have learned quickly.

After finishing the three of us headed over to the Chemawati school to help Irit and Galia, also in the agriculture team (Galia is working in agriculture and education), as well as staff members Bishnu and Leora, who were leading work in the school garden. Some of the work was preparing beds for a vegetable garden and some was preparing a plot for an experiment in which we will plant wheat in different conditions (with and without compost, water, or sunlight) and notice the differences. This will all be in conjunction with an agricultural science class Irit will lead.

Comments

1

So what percentage of your experience has been learning vs. helping/doing, and how does it compare to what you expected?

  Ezra Nov 16, 2008 4:14 PM

About bokserb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.