Existing Member?

Bob & Claire's Travels

Queenstown day 3: Rain in the rainforest

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 28 November 2012 | Views [239]

Up early and out the door door for a two hour ride to Lake Manapouri to begin the bus/boat/bus/boat trip to Doubtful Sound, a rainforest at a similar latitude to northern Maine.  through mostly spitting rain, we saw penguins, shags, gulls and a myriad of waterfalls that the folks who get the rare sunny day for the trip never get to see.  Oh, also the underground power station that the bus drove us to 1 1/2km into a rock mountain in a long corkscrew that brought us 178m below the earth's surface to see quite an engineering feet: power created by a fall of water 178m to turn turbines.  scary but amazing.

In the fiord the fog, cliffs and islands made it easy to imagine another world.  Notice the rare crested cute couple of penguins in the left of the picture.  They are hanging around the fiord feeding their young and spent the rest of the year "out to sea".

A quick dinner in Te Anau before the drive back to Queenstown, fields of sheep, cattle and red deer along the way.  All in all amother good day'

Gosh, just one more day here...

claire

About bob-claire


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.