Existing Member?

Bob & Claire's Travels

On to Dunedin

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 23 November 2012 | Views [186]

Had breakfast with Robert and Beth and headed off at 8 for Dunedin. Stopped about halfway at Fleurs', a highly recommended restaurant well off the beaten path on a bay overlooking the coast and had a suburb seafood chowder and salad. Then after a brief stop in Omarau, a quaint town with quite attractive stone buildings we headed on to Dunedin, a city of 120,000 with 20,000 university students. Along the way we never tired of spectacular landscapes and the ever present sheep. We are certain we see in excess of 10,000 each day we drive.

Dunedin was  the largest city in NZ in the 19th century when whaling and gold mining were flourishing. Now it is a beautiful, hilly Victorian city with a lively downtown and lots of restaurants and pubs. We spent the afternoon at the Otago Museum which had terrific exhibits on both cultural and historical background. we left when the museum closed at five, grabbed a quick supper in town and headed out to the Otago Peninsula, a short 25K ride on very windy, hilly roads reminiscent of the roads we travelled years ago in Tobago. 

About bob-claire


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.