Existing Member?

Bob & Claire's Travels

Rotorua Day 1

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 12 November 2012 | Views [280] | Comments [2]

Today we faced a darkish and rainy day and decided that the best way to spend it was by doing a cave tour underground and seeing New Zealand's famous glow worms.  We drove over hundreds of hills and dales to reach Waitamo.  It turns out that the owners of the farm land also own the caves beneath, and those caves are leased by the caving companies which get sole access to the caves and pay the farmers a royalty for each tourist as well as the leasing fee. To reach the cave access we waited while sheepdogs rounded up cattle, then sheep and moved them to fresh pasture.

It was a three hour tour and there we six in our group.  We were dressed to the gills in swimwear, a farmer John wetsuit with a long sleeved jacket over top, two pairs of booties and Wellingtons over those.   We wore helmets with lights, and those of us with glasses had them taped to the helmets, and down in we went!

I don't know what we had in mind, but all of us were thrilled with underground drama, with swimming at times in 50 degree water, with tubing and with being scared out of our minds.  A snack break midway of hot orange ade and chocolate was perfect somehow for this occasion!  We emerged three hours later the most bedraggled bunch I'd ever seen. Each of us had gained about 15-20 lbs. with boots full of water and mud. A hot shower and a nearby pub ended the perfect adventure.

My favorite thing currently about NZ is the diversity we confront everywhere. Last night at a special Maori dinner 22 nations were represented among the 150 diners.  This trip is turning my understanding of the world and geography literally upside down.  

 

More soon,

Claire

 

 

Comments

1

The caving adventure sounds wonderful! - much more varied and exciting an experience than the fun caving trips I made with my son's scout troop years ago. Your outfits sound fetching too.You did not say.......did you see the glow worms?

You might already know this, but Ava's mom Mary died earlier this week. Her funeral was this morning. She had hospice this past week or so and Rich and Ava are feeling as peaceful as they can I guess.

Spectacular weather here yesterday and today with temps in the mid 60s. Yesterday Mike and I were motorcycling and I am looking forward to a long walk in the woods before going to Bratttleboro for rehearsal.

I love reading about your adventures; sounds like an eye opening and eye popping trip so far.

Chris

  Chris Nov 13, 2012 1:52 AM

2

I agree with Chris, those outfits do sound rather fetching! Now that you're able to upload photos we want one of those outfits, preferably mud-covered on your exit from the caves. Or maybe a nice posed shot with a couple of glow worms. These stories are great! Have fun and keep them coming.
-eli

  Eli Nov 13, 2012 11:00 PM

About bob-claire


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.