Existing Member?

in Asia First Reflections from a Foreigner

Dubai // United Arab Emirates

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Monday, 3 June 2013 | Views [430] | Comments [1]

Living in a Bubble

This is not a walking city - though I certainly tried. The pedestrian is synonymous with the one who has no other means. The foreign migrant who toils in the 110 degree heat for a well below living-wage and still sends much of it home to a family he will seldom see. He has built this city, but it is not designed for him. Districts are divided by six lane super highways or barren tracts of desert. A souring skyline of offices and apartments he could never afford. Money drives everything; driving requires money. Some 70% of population are Asian immigrants, mostly Indian and Pakistani. And men outnumber their better halves almost four to one. Such are the bones of Dubai. A system of inexplicable exploitation comprising today's indentured servitude. A system where the sky is no limit. Even so, this Dubai is easily missed. Shrouded by extravagance, on the surface glows a modern metropolis unlike any other.

Burj Al Arab, the worlds most expensive hotel, and Bruj Khalifa, the worlds tallest building, leave little room for modesty. The latter, an engineered marvel boasting about as many obscure world records as floors, exemplifies foresight with its 100 year projected lifespan. Sound like a lot? The Empire State Building was completed in 1931; the Chrysler building in 1930. Despite these notable exceptions, few buildings demonstrate any redeeming architectural value. Skyscraper developments huddle rejectingly and oblivious to their surroundings. The infrastructure linking them is sparklingly new, well maintained, and eerily sterile. Islands fabricated as giant date palms are apparently discernible from space - an important selling point for investors which certainly outweighs the tacky ridiculousness of it all. You can visit a theme park, aquarium, or take the family skiing all within one of several supercooled megamalls. Across the river, a historic gold souk dwarfs Ponte Vecchio; its hustlers as invasive as Istanbul's. Shopping here has actually become a tourist destination in-and-of itself. Come evening, expats and their families retreat behind the uninspired rows of gated cookie-cutter communities. Amidst a unbound landscape, I cannot fathom why these capacious homes were so indiscriminately crammed together.

Even against such criticism, one cannot deny Dubai has accomplished something remarkable. One look at a picture from just thirty years ago elucidates their sheer prowess. This city's transformation, literally from nothing, into a global hub for business and tourism was compressed into the span of a single generation. Imagine you were born during the American colonial era and lived to see the New York City of today. Implications to this unfettered growth do not rest solely on the marginalized migrants. These very achievements frame what is so desperately missing; substance, character. It is not that Dubai lacks roots, only that it seems intent on ignoring them. That such rejection becomes inevitable when a city undergoes such ferocious development I cannot say. But somewhere buried beneath this void onset by ’progress' you'll discover the city's Bedouin heritage; an ebullient past disjointed from its contemporary makeover in nearly every way.

Traditional semi-nomadic herders of the Arabian peninsula, the Bedouins lived in and by the desert. Leading their flocks by caravan from oasis to oasis, they, fished, traded, and cultivated dates. Their culture evolved harmoniously around a harsh climate and relied heavily on the dromedary, or one humped Arabian camel - a source of milk, meat, and the means to traverse otherwise impassable distances. Hides could be fashioned into clothing, fur woven into bags and camel dung was often used for cooking. They were amongst the first people who converted to Islam, which has been integral to their culture ever since. Tribes were patriarchal and families practiced both endogamy and polygamy. Daily life shadowed the sun; greater cycles mimicked the seasons. A deep tradition emerged of interpretive song and dance. Loyalties were paramount, and once fractured, could bring swift and often harsh justice. Bisha'a, infamously known as 'the ordeal by fire', was a once practiced ritual for lie detection. Supporting all else stood a people rooted in an unassuming hospitality towards both friend and foreigner. Even today, this remains a cornerstone to Bedouin way of life.

With the establishment of the once independent Deira on Dubai Creek, many Bedouin would earn renown as divers in the ever growing pearling industry. Along with fishing, subsistence came from the town's strategic location as a natural trading port between East and West. The traditional wooden dhow, now a novelty for tourist, once played a pivotal role in seafaring goods between Iran, Saudi Arabia, India, and China. European influence commenced in the region when the Portuguese explorer Vasco de Gama first circumnavigated the Cape of Good Hope in 1494. They were soon followed by the British whose interest lay in protecting trade routes with India. Through these periods of steady commerce, the city grew. Then in the 1920's, pearling revenues plummeted with the Japanese invention of the cultured pearl, and took a final hit during the Great Depression. This brought on hard times from which Dubai would not emerge until 1966 with the fateful finding of black gold.

The oil boom brought contracts, businesses, foreign opportunists, and of course money. Without it, this contemporary city would never have been possible. With it the Emirate took a giant leap from which it has never looked back. Yet today, petroleum revenues account for a mere 7% of GDP. Dubai's continued prosperity rests instead on visionary investments in infrastructure and conscious efforts at attracting corporations from abroad. Industry specific tax-free zones and a western-style model of business now drive the economy. Todays primary sources in revenue come from tourism, construction, real estate, and financial services. Weekends, Friday to Saturday, represent an intriguing compromise between the Muslim holy day and Western work week. Save this and the five time daily call to prayer, and you could easily forget you were visiting a Muslim country.

I know my experience in Dubai. I stayed with a family and a friend who were extremely kind. However, much of my exploration was solitary, and during these excursions I found Dubai most genuinely superficial. Physically, the lush vegetation and gardens would demonstrate their evanescence as quickly as the irrigation lines ceased their nurturing. Any hidden pockets of culture, mostly nonnative, would dry up as well if the money ran out. No place is ever as homogeneous as it may first appear, and there are always unseen levels. This I know too. But as a fusion with Arab culture, it is my take Dubai has come away with only the worst of what the West has to offer. You can find the greed of corporate capitalism, the fixation on material pleasures, a blind captivation with new technologies, and an unnecessary inability to take time. Many of the freedoms, the creative spirit, and those vexing labor and environmental regulations however, never made the migration.

So this bubble has a semi-permeable membrane, like the wall of a cell, which administers entry. Unlike a cell, what influence could have been nourishing for the people of this region is exactly what this entitled oligarchy had rejected. The result is a killer deal for the Microsofts and CNNs and one, for the faceless untouchable, not much better. The perversity lies not with the mere existence of the poor. It is that their plight seems so unnecessary under the massing of such immense wealth. In this way, at least, Dubai is keeping in historical accord with human nature. Transcending time and place, the human pervasively that justifies the dominance of some over others appears to exists just about everywhere. Americans and Europeans both certainly capitalized in this way; perhaps the Emirati are merely taking their turn.

Comments

1

Thank you for this informative piece. It cemented my views of Dubai as the epitome of "conspicuous consumption." But I learned more about the culture, which is always fascinating. Very sad about the workers, but as you said, it is nothing new. Your statistic about the 4:1 ratio of men to women also saddens me. I can only shudder to think what living there as a woman is like. Either amazing--for the pampered wealthy; but more likely hell for the majority of women.

  Pam Jun 25, 2013 10:30 AM

About bmonty


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.