Existing Member?

Life Happens The adventures of Nora Dunn & Kelly Bedford, Professional Hobos. Nora writes, Kelly makes music. Together, we are on a lifelong journey to...wherever.

How Refreshing…and It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 12 June 2008 | Views [1345]

After six weeks in Asia, there are a number of things we find amazingly refreshing about Australia:

  • The ability to express affection in public. Every once in a while we’ll engage in a liplock in the middle of a busy street or store…because we can.
  • The odds are in your favour that when you go to the toilet (called a “toilet” in Oz, not “bathroom” or “washroom”), there’s probably going to be toilet paper.
  • The odds are in your favour that when you go to the toilet, there won’t be footprints on the toilet seat from somebody who decided to squat over the toilet seat instead of sit on it.
  • Most people who walk down the street won’t hassle you for a taxi ride somewhere. In fact, you have to work pretty hard to find a taxi at all.
  • The price is the price. Usually.
  • You won’t likely be bombarded with smells of delicious street food, followed uncomfortably closely by smells of rotting food or sewage.

And of course, we also made some decisions in our travels over the last few months that seemed brilliant at the time, but proved to be not so brilliant in practice:

  • Spending four days straight on a train from northern Thailand to Singapore. “It’ll be fun, and relaxing,” I remember thinking. And although it wasn’t hell, and although we didn’t have much choice in the matter (due to the Dengue Fever episode holding us up and all), it wasn’t exactly as great as an idea as we may have originally thought. Ah well – it was still better than the bus, I’m guessing.
  • Planning a five hour layover between flights overnight, between 12am and 5am. “We’ll sleep in the airport,” I remember thinking. Nope. 40 hours without any sleep made for a shaky start to our Aussie adventures, to be sure.

Although we are on the other side of the world from our home country (Canada), we are feeling more "at home" in Australia than we have felt since we left - oh so long ago. We see lots of similarities between Canada and Australia....ah but we'll leave that for another article.

Tags: ambassador van, asia, brisbane, world nomads

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.