Existing Member?

Abroader Perspective

Home

USA | Saturday, 5 December 2009 | Views [451] | Comments [1]

Well I'm back home.  Sorry for not updating at the end--I was running from place to place quickly enough that I didn't really feel like stopping and trying to summarize.  Luckily enough, I sent an on-the-fly email to Blair at the end that ended up doing an okay job of it, so I'll just copy and paste the relevant information from that:

I've been to Varanasi, Agra, and Amritsar since getting back, all of which have been amazing, but also difficult to put into words.  Varanasi is Hinduism's holiest city, so, needless to say, trying to blog about a place that is some kind of gateway to heaven to a sixth of the world's population is a difficult task.  Briefly, it was really kind of a distant experience, at least so far as the religion is concerned, as I had no way of relating, but could only be a spectator (which is weird when you're specta-ting cremations and bathing), but it was still amazing.  The spirituality of the place was pervasive, as was the relief that it represents to Hindus (if you die in Varanasi, you are supposed to be freed from the cycle of rebirth--a good thing for Hindus).  It's one of the few places where I've seen Indians and tourists alike just relaxing on the ghats (stairs leading down to the water, where people bathe, do their laundry, swim...all in incredibly polluted water--nothing can live in the Ganges that far down, as it's so filthy).  It was really a special place.
     Agra was great for two reasons--the Taj, which is an amazingly beautiful building, from any angle, in any light.  I managed to get there when it opened, and avoided most of the crowds and got to see it change color in the sunrise.  It was amazing.  But in twenty minutes it was swarmed, so I had to go, figuring I couldn't beat those first moments.  The other amazing thing is how CHEAP Agra is, at least, counter-intuitively, around the Taj.  This goes for all Indian cities with important monuments--the area immediately around the monument is dirt cheap, whereas all of the ritzy food and hotels are miles away.  It maaakes NO sense (in best Eddie Izzard impression).  So I was eating amazing Thalis (which is like an Indian food sampler plate that is usually the cheapest thing on the menu and comes with two-three curries/dal plus rice, chapati bread (no naan here usually, oddly--mostly it's roti, which is the dairy free, and therefore cheaper, version of naan), and sometimes yogurt or other place-specific bonuses.  In Agra you could get a thali for 15 rupess, or about 30 cents.  I was slightly suspicious of these, so I sprung for the 25 rupees, or 50 cents.  WHAT?!  For a filling dinner, and, frankly, usually the best food around (most of the slightly more expensive backpacker-tailored places SUCK, with bad indian, and terrible attempts at continental food, whereas the Thali places are for locals as much as tourists, meaning better food, and cheaper prices--funny).
     Amritsar was also really cool--it's Sikhism's holiest city, with the holiest Sikh place of worship: the Golden Temple, which is was it sounds like.  I have pictures that I'll post that show the temple, but it's pretty self-explanatory.  The really cool thing about it, besides the beautiful temple, is the lodging and food.  Sikhs are all about equality, so in every Sikh temple you can eat and sleep for free--anyone can.  (Oh, and Sikhs, though a small percentage of India's population, are commonly the imagined "quintessential Indian" due to their state having the highest number of ex-patriots--they're the stereotypical New York City cabbies with the turbans (the turbans, usually delicately and beautifully wrapped, being the Sikh giveaway).)  So there's free lodging specifically for foreigners, and the Indian visitors, being made of hardier stuff, often are just content to sleep on the pavement in the courtyard.  And the dining hall--MAN!--is usually feeding 300 people at any one time--about 40,000 in a day--all free, all staffed by volunteers!  And the food, again, is some of the best you can find (it's basically a thali).  And its open 24 hours a day, though it's just chai at night.  You walk by and all you hear (on the outside, it's muffled on the inside by 300 people eating and talking) is the banging and clattering of the metalware plates, bowls and spoons, that the staffers are furiously cleaning and tossing into piles.

And that's that.  Thanks for reading--I hope it provided something of interest, or at least comfort in making sure I was still alive and typing away somewhere.  Now off to reenter a world of more practical concerns, like where to live and how to find a job in this market with a philosophy BA.

See you soon,

Dave

Comments

1

i can still hear the bang bang bang of the dishwashers at amritsar washing the thousands of dishes for the free meals finished by everyone who comes regardless of race color or creed..I loved the golden temple!see you for dinner in an hour!

  david Dec 6, 2009 11:22 AM

About blancharddb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.